Aldi submits bid to sell alcohol until midnight seven days a week
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Supermarket chain Aldi has lodged bids with the city council to change the licensing terms of two of its city stores.
However the German giant has insisted it has no plans to alter the opening hours of any of its Norwich locations.
Norwich City Council has received two identical licensing bids from Aldi relating to its stores in Larkman Lane and Plumstead Road.
Both of the applications are seeking the same thing - to extend the times of day it can sell alcohol to customers to between 6am and 12 midnight, seven days a week.
With the stores currently only opening from 8am until 10pm Monday to Saturday and 10am until 4pm on Sundays, the bids aroused suspicions that the stores could soon be set to change their opening hours.
However, an Aldi spokesman has insisted the move was instead to "increase flexibility" over the festive period.
He said: "There are no plans to make permanent changes to the opening hours of our Norwich stores.
- 1 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 2 Fry Up Inspector reveals his favourite places for a roast dinner in Norwich
- 3 Norwich cycle shop closes after 125 years in business
- 4 Road closed after BMW comes off the road in Mousehold Heath
- 5 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 6 Award-winning Norwich pub celebrates 30 years in style
- 7 City centre steak restaurant to DOUBLE in size thanks to move
- 8 How clothing boss got Norwich hooked on luxury
- 9 'Dog ramps' added as part of River Yare restoration project
- 10 Crime hit street gives woman 'nightmares'
"The licensing applications are to give stores flexibility during seasonal periods.”