Aldi submits bid to sell alcohol until midnight seven days a week
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Supermarket chain Aldi has lodged bids with the city council to change the licensing terms of two of its city stores.
However the German giant has insisted it has no plans to alter the opening hours of any of its Norwich locations.
Norwich City Council has received two identical licensing bids from Aldi relating to its stores in Larkman Lane and Plumstead Road.
Both of the applications are seeking the same thing - to extend the times of day it can sell alcohol to customers to between 6am and 12 midnight, seven days a week.
With the stores currently only opening from 8am until 10pm Monday to Saturday and 10am until 4pm on Sundays, the bids aroused suspicions that the stores could soon be set to change their opening hours.
However, an Aldi spokesman has insisted the move was instead to "increase flexibility" over the festive period.
He said: "There are no plans to make permanent changes to the opening hours of our Norwich stores.
- 1 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 2 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 3 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 4 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 5 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 6 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 7 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 8 'I'm considering living on a boat because houses are so expensive'
- 9 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 10 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
"The licensing applications are to give stores flexibility during seasonal periods.”