Brits Critics Choice winning singer Jorja Smith coming to Norwich
- Credit: Pomona
The fast-rising singer, tipped as the next big star of UK soul and jazz and who has alreday collaborated with everyone from Drake to Stormzy, will be at the UEA LCR in October as part of her biggest tour to date.
Back in the 1980s Sade's brand of silky froideur and cool neo-soul jazz made her a global superstar, so huge in America that she was still out selling Adele up to a few years ago.
Now another singer is talked up as the saviour of British soul and she is heading to Norwich in the autumn as part of her biggest tour to date.
Jorja Smith is this year's recipient of the Brits Critic Choice award. Previous winners have included Adele, Florence Welch, Ellie Goulding, Emeli Sande, Sam Smith and Rag N Bone Man.
The 20-year-old singer, who hails from Walsall, had already see her debut song, the Dizzee Rascal-sampling Blue Lights, which she released on Soundcloud, earn a place on the BBC's Sound of 2017 list.
You may also want to watch:
The song blew up, earning the praise of Skrillex and Stormzy, before it was eventually included on OVO, the radio show of Canadian mega-rapper Drake. That led to her collaborating with him on the track Get It Together, on his More Life project, and she performed as a special guest at his UK headline shows.
She recently supported mega-star Bruno Mars on the US-leg of his world tour and this weke was in the region for a date at the Cambridge Junction.
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 3 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 4 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 5 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 6 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 7 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 10 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
She will arrive in Norwich after a debut appearance at the prestigious Californian festival Coachella and a second US tour.
Riding a wave of momentum on the strength of one-off singles Teenage Fantasy and On My Mind and high-profile collaborations, she has finished her debut album, featuring songs mostly written between the ages of 16-18.
Explaining why it has not yet ben released, she explains: 'Because I'm not in a rush. I've never rushed anything in my life.'
• Jorja Smith will perform at the UEA LCR, Norwich on October 4, 7.30pm, £18.50, 01603 508050, ueaticketbookings.co.uk