Bowthorpe couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
A diamond couple from Bowthorpe are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
Donald and Betty Kindleysides, of Leyham Court, Rawley Road, wed at Bury St Edmunds register office on August 30, 1952, when they were aged 20 and 18 respectively, and at the weekend they marked their landmark anniversary with a special party with friends and family.
Mrs Kindleysides, 78, who wore a blue dress on the couple's wedding day, said: 'We met when I was 15 and Donald was 17. Donald was a farm worker and I was a domestic for a lady at Norton, near Bury St Edmunds.
'We are both as happy together now as when we first met.'
Mr Kindleysides was part of the Royal Norfolk Regiment from 1952 until 1954, and afterwards returned to working on various farms in places across the region including Bunwell, Cambridge and Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kindleysides also worked as a long distance lorry driver, a role which gave the couple the chance to travel abroad to many places including Italy, France, Belgium and Switzerland, and he set up a family-run delivery van business.
The couple have six children, Trevor, Pauline, Alan, Shirley, Malcolm and Colin, 16 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 'I'd be utterly lost without it' - Family told to dig up vegetable patch
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Shoe shop founded in 1857 closes down
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Cafe in historic park pavilion to reopen after £36,000 renovation
- 8 City bar owner tells clubbers: 'Turn off Covid app'
- 9 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 10 Calls for 'white elephant' bus lane to be opened for emergencies
Many of them joined Mr and Mrs Kindleysides for their special celebration on Saturday, the same day as Mr Kindleysides' 80th birthday.
When asked the secret to a long and happy marriage, Mrs Kindleysides said: 'You just get on with life.'
Do you know somebody celebrating a landmark celebration? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com