Bowthorpe couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
A diamond couple from Bowthorpe are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
Donald and Betty Kindleysides, of Leyham Court, Rawley Road, wed at Bury St Edmunds register office on August 30, 1952, when they were aged 20 and 18 respectively, and at the weekend they marked their landmark anniversary with a special party with friends and family.
Mrs Kindleysides, 78, who wore a blue dress on the couple's wedding day, said: 'We met when I was 15 and Donald was 17. Donald was a farm worker and I was a domestic for a lady at Norton, near Bury St Edmunds.
'We are both as happy together now as when we first met.'
Mr Kindleysides was part of the Royal Norfolk Regiment from 1952 until 1954, and afterwards returned to working on various farms in places across the region including Bunwell, Cambridge and Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kindleysides also worked as a long distance lorry driver, a role which gave the couple the chance to travel abroad to many places including Italy, France, Belgium and Switzerland, and he set up a family-run delivery van business.
The couple have six children, Trevor, Pauline, Alan, Shirley, Malcolm and Colin, 16 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 2 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 4 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 5 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 6 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 7 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes
- 8 Four Norwich city green spaces among best in UK
- 9 Hundreds potentially put at risk as council homes safety inspections missed
- 10 Progress on plan for 4,000 homes near Norwich to be revealed
Many of them joined Mr and Mrs Kindleysides for their special celebration on Saturday, the same day as Mr Kindleysides' 80th birthday.
When asked the secret to a long and happy marriage, Mrs Kindleysides said: 'You just get on with life.'
Do you know somebody celebrating a landmark celebration? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com