Bowthorpe couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
A diamond couple from Bowthorpe are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
Donald and Betty Kindleysides, of Leyham Court, Rawley Road, wed at Bury St Edmunds register office on August 30, 1952, when they were aged 20 and 18 respectively, and at the weekend they marked their landmark anniversary with a special party with friends and family.
Mrs Kindleysides, 78, who wore a blue dress on the couple's wedding day, said: 'We met when I was 15 and Donald was 17. Donald was a farm worker and I was a domestic for a lady at Norton, near Bury St Edmunds.
'We are both as happy together now as when we first met.'
Mr Kindleysides was part of the Royal Norfolk Regiment from 1952 until 1954, and afterwards returned to working on various farms in places across the region including Bunwell, Cambridge and Norwich.
Mr Kindleysides also worked as a long distance lorry driver, a role which gave the couple the chance to travel abroad to many places including Italy, France, Belgium and Switzerland, and he set up a family-run delivery van business.
The couple have six children, Trevor, Pauline, Alan, Shirley, Malcolm and Colin, 16 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.
- 1 Chim chim, I do! Couple tie the knot in Mary Poppins-themed wedding
- 2 Military helicopters spotted flying over Norfolk
- 3 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 4 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 5 Are you the mystery Norwich builder Peter Crouch is searching for?
- 6 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 7 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 8 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 9 Hidden 90-acre wildlife haven in city secured after £600k investment
- 10 Missing Taverham man found safe and well
Many of them joined Mr and Mrs Kindleysides for their special celebration on Saturday, the same day as Mr Kindleysides' 80th birthday.
When asked the secret to a long and happy marriage, Mrs Kindleysides said: 'You just get on with life.'
Do you know somebody celebrating a landmark celebration? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com