Boost to Norwich tourism as figures show increase in day visitors
New figures released by VisitNorwich have revealed a nearly 50pc increase in the number of day visits to Norwich - making it the sixth most visited city in England for day trips.
The 2013 statistics which were compiled by Cool Tourism - a European partnership project which aim to improve and promote rural tourism - found that day visits to the city rose by 48pc from the 2012 figures, to 10.2 million.
It is estimated that tourism is worth around £643 million per year to the Norwich area and supports more than 11,224 jobs, with tourism throughout the county valued at £2.7 billion with 39.1 million visits and supporting an estimated 54,864 jobs.
In a bid to attract more tourists to the city VisitNorwich have unveiled a new visitors guide, 'Norwich, Norfolk Broads and Countryside', with 35,000 copies distributed to to Tourist Information Centres across the country.
'Norwich, Norfolk Broads and Countryside is our chance to promote what a fantastic city we have here,' said Nick Bond, head of tourism at VisitNorwich.
You may also want to watch:
'Norwich is rich in culture and heritage and through this wide-reaching print campaign we can really shout about it and make sure it's top of mind for people choosing their next destination, whether it's for a day trip or their next holiday.'
A packed line up of events in Norwich including, Radio 1's Big Weekend, GoGoDragons! trail, Norwich Fashion Week and Lord Mayor's celebration, promises to help boost tourism in the city.
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners
- 10 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
And David Master, chairman of Norwich Attractions, said the guide will help increase awareness of what the city has to offer.
He said: 'Norwich, Norfolk Broads and Countryside is a very useful guide for visitors to Norwich. The wide range of attractions are highlighted together so visitors can quickly see the choice there is in Norwich, from the magnificent castle to a simple but unique Victorian Garden.
'We look forward to welcoming a rush of visitors in coming months.'
For more information about VisitNorwich, visit www.visitnorwich.co.uk
Do you think the VisitNorwich guide will help to increase tourism? Email email@example.com