Mums invited to join ‘Big Latch On’ breastfeeding event
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
Mothers are being invited to take part in a breast feeding event in Norwich.
Taking place in Chapelfield Gardens on Saturday, August 4, the 'Big Latch On' is part of a global event promoting the benefits of breastfeeding. Inviting mothers to come together to share experiences the event aims to create a safe and welcoming environment to help break down the stigma some women feel of breastfeeding in public.
Event organiser and member of the Norfolk Breastfeeding Mum Meets Facebook group Georgina Simpson said: 'The main goal is to encourage women to support each other. Who knows better about breastfeeding than the women who are doing it.'
The mother of two from Thorpe Marriott added: 'This is just one big event to celebrate breastfeeding. It's about normalising it, I think there is an unfortunate stigma attached to breastfeeding. Our aim is to encourage women to realise how completely normal it is.'
Keen to make the event a supportive and welcoming one for the whole family not just breastfeeding mothers Ms Simpson said she hoped older children and partners would also attend the day: 'The most important thing is that I want to encourage the family support, it's so important to know you're not alone, it's so easy to feel isolated.'
You may also want to watch:
Alice Manson, from Hingham who has also helped organise the event added: 'It's to difficult breastfeed, not all children are born knowing what to do, with some babies you have got to work a little bit harder and we are there to support mothers because it's hard.
'We are just there to give mothers support so that people know that it's normal.'
- 1 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 2 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 3 Revealed: New Anglia Square talks take place
- 4 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 5 New bid to limit city centre offices being turned into flats
- 6 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 7 Big screen unveiled in pub garden for England's Auld Enemy clash
- 8 'Dull as dishwater' - Fans in Norwich pub react to draw
- 9 Community shock after teenager knocked unconscious as robbers steal trainers
- 10 Have you visited any of these 'haunted' ruins in Norwich?
Starting at 10.30am throughout the morning there will be a range of health professionals including midwives and members of children's services on hand to offer advice and sign post women to resources. SERV Norfolk Blood Bikes will also be in attendance talking about their donated breast milk service.
Launched in 2005 the 'Big Latch On' is a international three day event which aims to raise awareness of breastfeeding and make breastfeeding in public a normal part of every-day life.