Bianca bids to become a Forces pin-up
Sam EmanuelA Norwich student whose boyfriend is fighting overseas is urging people to help her show her support for troops abroad - by voting for her to appear in a glamorous fundraising calendar.
A Norwich student whose boyfriend is fighting overseas is urging people to help her show her support for troops abroad - by voting for her to appear in a glamorous fundraising calendar.
Bianca Rackham, who is studying sport, health and exercise at City College, Norwich, knows only too well the worry of being a 'war wife', as her boyfriend, SAC Sean Simpson, 29, has been in Afghanistan since March.
Now she is appealing for public votes to get into the final 12 applicants for a 1940s pin-up calendar, Pin-up for Heroes 2011, to raise money for Help for Heroes, a charity which supports wounded soldiers and their families.
You may also want to watch:
This year's calendar, in which Miss Rackham appears, raised �5,500, and the organisers are hoping that next year's calendar will raise even more money.
The 24-year-old, who lives in Felixstowe and who has given talks at City College, Norwich, about the plight of soldiers, said: 'Being at home you tend to feel a bit helpless and all you can do is wait, write and give as much support as you can.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
- 6 6 best Chinese takeaways in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 7 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 10 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
'By having a chance to help out with the pin-up calendar, it will allow my partner as well as the rest of the troops in Afghanistan and at home to know that we are always here showing our support and thanking them for all that they do.
'I've been sending him emails and letters, and although I don't always get them back I know it's because he has a lot less time than me, I just like him to know I'm thinking of him.
'I think Help for Heroes is a great cause because there isn't a lot of support out there for injured soldiers.'
To vote for her, visit www.pinupforheroes.co.uk and click on Bianca Rackham on the right, and then click the thumbs-up icon
Are you raising money for a charity close to your heart? Call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.