Basketball team answers call to arms to join Lord Mayor’s Procession
- Credit: Archant
As part of our campaign to make this year's Lord Mayor's Procession the best yet, a local basketball team has answered our calls to arms.
The Norfolk girl and ladies basketball teams have never been involved in the Procession before, but will be making their debut in July.
Sarah Broomfield, the coach of the under 11 Iceni team and under 13 Norfolk girls basketball team, said: 'The Lord Mayor's is a brilliant way to promote our group to thousands of people and is a wonderful event which the whole of Norwich is proud of.'
The mother of four enjoys the adrenaline that you get from playing the sport and said it is not for the faint-hearted: 'I have a scar on my head from playing against quite a rough team,' but said it was part of the fun.
Some clubs in Norfolk have struggled to get enough players, Mrs Broomfield said, meaning they have had to close and some people are left without somewhere to play.
You may also want to watch:
The Sport England led campaign 'This Girl Can' encourages young women to take up sports, especially those which have a more 'masculine' image.
Mrs Broomfield, from Swainsthorpe, believes this will help get more people playing but added: 'The more that goes on in schools, the better.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Comedian Rufus Hound on the hunt for hotel in Norwich
- 5 Drip, drip, hooray! City's bottled water crisis solved
- 6 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
- 7 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 8 'Music, food and motor cars': Festival set to return to Norwich
- 9 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 10 Man steals £250 guitar from charity shop
The 37-year-old coach said: 'I would like to see coaches going in to school across the whole of Norfolk. It needs to be made a sport which is played in primary schools in a similar way to how tennis and rugby are now.'
The club plan to involve the girls, coaches, parents and the ladies team in organising the float and think it will be a great team building exercise.
• Are you going to enter a float into this year's procession? Email firstname.lastname@example.org