Extinction Rebellion protest targets city centre bank
- Credit: NEIL DIDSBURY
Protestors from environmental campaign group Extinction Rebellion have been staging a demonstration outside a Norwich city centre bank.
The campaigners dressed in black and covered their hands in fake ‘oil’ during their protest outside the Barclays Bank branch in Red Lion Street on Saturday (September 19).
The campaigners, who sat in silence outside the bank holding signs with slogans such as ‘Debt Strike for Climate’, said their action was designed to raise awareness of Barclays’ heavy investment in fossil fuels.
Gabriella Ditton, Extinction Rebellion Norwich spokesperson, said: “We are raising awareness of what Barclays Bank invest their customers’ money in. Between 2015 to 2018 they have invested £64bn in fossil fuels.
“We are urging Barclays customers to ask the bank to divest from fossil fuels. If we are going to stand any chance of surviving, then mega corporations like Barclays have to play their part.”
You may also want to watch:
A Barclays spokesperson said: “We want to take a leading role in tackling climate change as we recognise that it is one of the greatest challenges facing the world today.
“Our ambition is to become a net zero bank by 2050, and we’ve made a firm commitment to align our entire financing portfolio to the goals of the Paris Agreement.
- 1 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 4 Community in shock as murder investigation launched
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Suburb's shock after mugging attempt leaves teen laying on path
- 7 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 8 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 9 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 10 Veterans plan alternative Remembrance Service after council's is cancelled
“That means our own operations, and the financing we do for our clients, in every sector, will support the transition towards a low-carbon economy.”