Bank holiday getaway takes on a new meaning at Norwich pub
A Norwich pub is getting ready to let its locals loose for a charity 'jailbreak' event that will also celebrate its management's 25th anniversary.
The Alexandra Tavern, on Stafford Street in Norwich, is running the event to raise money for Norfolk charity Break, which provides holidays and respite care for children and adults with learning disabilities.
The event, run by the pub's landlady and landlord, Anita and Tiny Little, will be held over the upcoming August Bank Holiday weekend and encourages competitors to dress in convict attire, break out of the pub and escape as far away as possible.
The idea is for the teams, which must be of between two and four people over the age of 18, to disperse on Saturday, August 27, using whatever means chosen, but spending as little money as possible.
Teams must return for recapture by midday on Bank Holiday Monday when there will be a prize giving and fun day awaiting them. Prizes include �500 for the winning team and awards for the teams that get the furthest, deepest, highest and shortest, plus best costumes, greatest human endeavour, best blog and the best blag.
Spectators are also welcomed to The Alexandra Tavern for the recapture, where a hog roast will be available as part of the fun day to celebrate Anita and Tiny's 25 years at the pub.
Anita is already looking forward to the event. She said: 'Some of the customers are talking about taking flights to get really far away but most of them are keeping things secret from each other at the moment. It's our 25th year at the pub as well so we're looking to have a fun day and raise as much money for charity as possible at the same time.'
- 1 City teen gets celebrity backing for prom dress
- 2 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 3 Restaurant with 'interactive dining experience' to open in Norwich
- 4 Country pub announces closure due to rising costs
- 5 'We just want to hold our son' - Plea for help to bring miracle baby home
- 6 Class A drugs seized from three men in city woods
- 7 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 8 Man, 67, arrested on suspicion of arson after city flat fire
- 9 Four restaurants in Norwich nominated for national awards
- 10 Plea to get 5ft mega bush axed from busy pavement
More information can be found on the Alexandra Tavern Facebook group, by calling the pub on 01603 627772 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you raising money for charity? Call Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com