Back the Norwich City of Culture bid
Mary HamiltonPeople of Norwich - get behind the city's bid to be the first UK City of Culture in 2013. That was the message from City Hall and the Evening News today as we launch our campaign to rally the city behind the bid.Support Norwich on FacebookOfficial Norwich 2013 bid websiteMary Hamilton
People of Norwich - get behind the city's bid to be the first UK City of Culture in 2013.
That was the message from City Hall and the Evening News today as we launch our campaign to rally the city behind the bid.
Since Norwich was shortlisted for the prestigious title two weeks ago there has been an explosion of interest in the bid, with bookies backing the city as the 6/4 favourite against rivals Sheffield, Birmingham and Derry/Londonderry.
Norfolk actor and presenter Stephen Fry has backed Norwich's bid, and more than 1,000 people have already joined a Facebook group supporting the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
But the city council have made it clear they want everyone in Norwich to get behind their plans - and to come up with their own ideas for how to help our fine city get the honour it so richly deserves.
City council cultural development officer Marion Catlin said today: 'We almost want a revolutionary spirit - we want people stirred to action.
- 1 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 2 Greek chain looks set to take over former Giraffe restaurant
- 3 New pasta and cocktail bar to open in Norwich
- 4 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 5 Norwich restaurants and pubs reopening in April
- 6 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 7 £153m Western Link road delayed a third time
- 8 Mum sets up sideline selling jewellery made from breast milk
- 9 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 10 Cardiac arrest call sparks rescue operation near beauty spot
'This is not just the council's bid - it's the city's bid. This is for everyone in Norwich.'
Evening News editor Tim Williams said: 'If the judges fail to be inspired by Norwich, we'll be amazed.
'But we all need to do what we can to support the City of Culture bid. Every one of us needs to be an advocate for our fine city.
'By the time the team makes its decision we are determined that there should only be one city in the running. Norwich.'
See pages 4 and 5 to find out why you should do your bit and how you can help.