Chinese restaurant in Norwich nominated for national award
- Credit: Archant
A Chinese restaurant in Norwich has been shortlisted for a national award.
Baby Buddha, on Ber Street, has been named as a finalist in the Golden Chopsticks Awards 2019 in the best dumpling category.
The family-run business faces competition from three restaurants in London, Din Tai Fung, Dumpling Shack and Yauatcha, for the prize.
Customers had to put forward initial votes for their favourite restaurant and owner Ying-Kit Ngai said he couldn't believe they were named finalists as they 'only joined in for a laugh'.
'We got advised to just focus on the category we had the best chance in but were surprised to get nominated as we only handed at a few cards,' he said. 'I think we have a very slim chance of winning but you never know.'
You may also want to watch:
The restaurant specialises in dumplings which are all hand made on site by Mr Ngai's father.
The Golden Chopsticks Awards were founded in 2017 by TV presenter Gok Wan, managing director of SeeWoo UK Lucy Mitchell and food and drink PR and communications specialist Sarah Lewis.
- 1 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 2 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Military begin coronavirus support at hospital
- 6 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 7 Four fire crews called to car blaze in Norwich garage
- 8 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 9 'Look twice' - Biker's plea after breaking both legs in head-on crash
- 10 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
The 2019 awards take place in London on April 29 where the winners will be announced.