Chinese restaurant in Norwich nominated for national award
- Credit: Archant
A Chinese restaurant in Norwich has been shortlisted for a national award.
Baby Buddha, on Ber Street, has been named as a finalist in the Golden Chopsticks Awards 2019 in the best dumpling category.
The family-run business faces competition from three restaurants in London, Din Tai Fung, Dumpling Shack and Yauatcha, for the prize.
Customers had to put forward initial votes for their favourite restaurant and owner Ying-Kit Ngai said he couldn't believe they were named finalists as they 'only joined in for a laugh'.
'We got advised to just focus on the category we had the best chance in but were surprised to get nominated as we only handed at a few cards,' he said. 'I think we have a very slim chance of winning but you never know.'
You may also want to watch:
The restaurant specialises in dumplings which are all hand made on site by Mr Ngai's father.
The Golden Chopsticks Awards were founded in 2017 by TV presenter Gok Wan, managing director of SeeWoo UK Lucy Mitchell and food and drink PR and communications specialist Sarah Lewis.
- 1 Teenager jailed for sexual offences in Norwich
- 2 Award-winning Norfolk school appoints new headteacher
- 3 Road closure warning for £940,000 traffic shake-up in Norwich
- 4 'Size doesn't matter': Three pals get go-ahead for city micropub
- 5 All the major 2021 Norwich events scheduled to go ahead
- 6 Owner of Norwich crazy golf course retires leaving 'wonderful legacy'
- 7 Norwich City fan recovering after 52-day Covid hospital battle
- 8 No recent virus cases in more than a quarter of Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Emma Thompson and Daryl McCormack arrive in Norwich for filming
- 10 A small gesture that shows why Norwich City are a class apart
The 2019 awards take place in London on April 29 where the winners will be announced.