Aylsham Town Hall re-opens
Richard BatsonAylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.Richard Batson
Aylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.
Alterations include re-opening the original main entrance doors on the south elevation facing the Market Place as a focal point for wedding receptions and special occasions.
The whole building was re-wired and the town council used the chance to upgrade the lighting, heating, audio-visual and IT facilities, fire alarm, telephones, and toilets.
A scissor lift has also been installed in one of the east end cellars to allow tables and chairs to be stored away from the main hall.
You may also want to watch:
Large photos reproduced from images in the town archive provide an interesting timeline of the hall from 1875 to the present day.
External repairs and re-decoration will be carried out when the weather improves, but in the meantime, the town council hoped residents and visitors would enjoy using the revamped hall.
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 4 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 5 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 6 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 7 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 8 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 9 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 10 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
Chairman Liz Jones said: 'The council is delighted with the work. The hall has always been well used by local and community organisations, but the recent work now makes it an ideal venue for weddings and conferences.'
The council is planning to showcase the improvements at formal launch and open evening from 5.30pm on Tuesday March 23.