Aylsham Town Hall re-opens
Richard BatsonAylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.Richard Batson
Aylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.
Alterations include re-opening the original main entrance doors on the south elevation facing the Market Place as a focal point for wedding receptions and special occasions.
The whole building was re-wired and the town council used the chance to upgrade the lighting, heating, audio-visual and IT facilities, fire alarm, telephones, and toilets.
A scissor lift has also been installed in one of the east end cellars to allow tables and chairs to be stored away from the main hall.
Large photos reproduced from images in the town archive provide an interesting timeline of the hall from 1875 to the present day.
External repairs and re-decoration will be carried out when the weather improves, but in the meantime, the town council hoped residents and visitors would enjoy using the revamped hall.
- 1 Chim chim, I do! Couple tie the knot in Mary Poppins-themed wedding
- 2 Military helicopters spotted flying over Norfolk
- 3 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 4 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 5 Are you the mystery Norwich builder Peter Crouch is searching for?
- 6 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 7 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 8 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 9 Missing Taverham man found safe and well
- 10 Hidden 90-acre wildlife haven in city secured after £600k investment
Chairman Liz Jones said: 'The council is delighted with the work. The hall has always been well used by local and community organisations, but the recent work now makes it an ideal venue for weddings and conferences.'
The council is planning to showcase the improvements at formal launch and open evening from 5.30pm on Tuesday March 23.