Aylsham Town Hall re-opens
Richard BatsonAylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.Richard Batson
Aylsham Town Hall is back in action after five and a half weeks of improvement works.
Alterations include re-opening the original main entrance doors on the south elevation facing the Market Place as a focal point for wedding receptions and special occasions.
The whole building was re-wired and the town council used the chance to upgrade the lighting, heating, audio-visual and IT facilities, fire alarm, telephones, and toilets.
A scissor lift has also been installed in one of the east end cellars to allow tables and chairs to be stored away from the main hall.
You may also want to watch:
Large photos reproduced from images in the town archive provide an interesting timeline of the hall from 1875 to the present day.
External repairs and re-decoration will be carried out when the weather improves, but in the meantime, the town council hoped residents and visitors would enjoy using the revamped hall.
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 4 Norwich pub allowed to reopen after licensing u-turn
- 5 'It's very very noisy' - broken manhole cover keeps couple awake at night
- 6 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 7 New Danish bakery in Norwich sells over 1,000 pastries in first week
- 8 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 9 Axe for Norwich Tourist Information Centre as closure announced
- 10 Measures taken to make dog walkers feel safer in Norwich park
Chairman Liz Jones said: 'The council is delighted with the work. The hall has always been well used by local and community organisations, but the recent work now makes it an ideal venue for weddings and conferences.'
The council is planning to showcase the improvements at formal launch and open evening from 5.30pm on Tuesday March 23.