Authors prove Norfolk really is picture perfect
A new book explores our bold and beautiful county and is a winning formula, says Derek James
We need a book like this to appreciate just how lucky we are to live in this part of the country.
Even if you have been here all your life, the chances are you will be interested in this new offering – and probably learn something you didn't know about our city and county.
And we are fortunate to have a double act such as Daniel Tink and Stephen Browning, who have got together to produce the glorious Norfolk – Exploring the Land of Wide Skies.
As they say, it is not really possible to come up with a valid sentence which summarises the character of the whole county.
Easier to say what it is not.
Not one inch of Norfolk is especially twee or chocolate-boxy. As the authors say, it is not a comfortable, sweet place. It is bold and beautiful – and at times quite breathtaking.
- 1 City teen gets celebrity backing for prom dress
- 2 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 3 Restaurant with 'interactive dining experience' to open in Norwich
- 4 Country pub announces closure due to rising costs
- 5 'We just want to hold our son' - Plea for help to bring miracle baby home
- 6 Class A drugs seized from three men in city woods
- 7 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 8 Man, 67, arrested on suspicion of arson after city flat fire
- 9 Four restaurants in Norwich nominated for national awards
- 10 Plea to get 5ft mega bush axed from busy pavement
There are plenty of books about Norfolk but this is a winning combination – a book bursting with stunning pictures – and everyone tells a real story.
Not only are there beautiful photographs to admire, there are also highly entertaining and informative tales to go with them.
The journey starts at Acle and takes us north, south, east and west around Norfolk before finishing up at Wymondham.
Several people, including myself, were honoured to be asked to contribute to the book and explain why we love Norfolk. I hope we have done this publication justice.
Norfolk: Exploring The Land of Wide Skies by Daniel Tink and Stephen Browning is part of the Halsgrove Discover Series and is on sale now priced at �16.99. If you can't find it in the shops then call Halsgrove Direct on 01823 653777.
Competition time: Win a copy of this great new book
I have five copies of this book to give away.
Name the flamboyant playwright, actor, composer and singer who described Norfolk as 'very flat.'
Send your answers to me, Derek James, at Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE, or email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, address and telephone number.
They should arrive by Tuesday August 9 and the first five entries out of the hat with the correct answer get a book. Usual Archant rules apply.