Authors prove Norfolk really is picture perfect
A new book explores our bold and beautiful county and is a winning formula, says Derek James
We need a book like this to appreciate just how lucky we are to live in this part of the country.
Even if you have been here all your life, the chances are you will be interested in this new offering – and probably learn something you didn't know about our city and county.
And we are fortunate to have a double act such as Daniel Tink and Stephen Browning, who have got together to produce the glorious Norfolk – Exploring the Land of Wide Skies.
As they say, it is not really possible to come up with a valid sentence which summarises the character of the whole county.
You may also want to watch:
Easier to say what it is not.
Not one inch of Norfolk is especially twee or chocolate-boxy. As the authors say, it is not a comfortable, sweet place. It is bold and beautiful – and at times quite breathtaking.
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 3 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 8 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 9 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 10 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
There are plenty of books about Norfolk but this is a winning combination – a book bursting with stunning pictures – and everyone tells a real story.
Not only are there beautiful photographs to admire, there are also highly entertaining and informative tales to go with them.
The journey starts at Acle and takes us north, south, east and west around Norfolk before finishing up at Wymondham.
Several people, including myself, were honoured to be asked to contribute to the book and explain why we love Norfolk. I hope we have done this publication justice.
Norfolk: Exploring The Land of Wide Skies by Daniel Tink and Stephen Browning is part of the Halsgrove Discover Series and is on sale now priced at �16.99. If you can't find it in the shops then call Halsgrove Direct on 01823 653777.
Competition time: Win a copy of this great new book
I have five copies of this book to give away.
Name the flamboyant playwright, actor, composer and singer who described Norfolk as 'very flat.'
Send your answers to me, Derek James, at Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE, or email them to me at email@example.com. Please include your name, address and telephone number.
They should arrive by Tuesday August 9 and the first five entries out of the hat with the correct answer get a book. Usual Archant rules apply.