Attleborough mum awarded damages from Wymondham firm following employment tribunal
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
A mother-of-two has been awarded more than £7,600 in compensation at an employment tribunal after she was dismissed from work shortly after announcing she was pregnant.
Charlotte Conoley joined Wymondham physiotherapy clinic Back in Motion in June 2012, on a maternity leave contract.
The 27-year-old had previously worked for the firm for 18 months before she left to have her daughter, Phoebe, in 2009.
But she returned to work as a receptionist in 2012 and covered four morning shifts a week at the clinic on Norwich Road.
Her contract was extended by five weeks and Mrs Conoley, who lives in Attleborough with her husband, Mark, a self-employed jeweller, told her boss she was expecting her second child in March last year.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I told the practice manager, who told the owner of the business. Everyone was happy for me.
'They took me aside at the beginning of April 2013 and said 'we have no more work that we can give to you'.
- 1 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 2 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 3 Tenants battled 'extreme mould' for months
- 4 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 5 City star Buendia reveals Messi's Argentina intervention
- 6 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 7 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 8 Former Norwich North MP and champion of city Dr Ian Gibson dies
- 9 Tributes paid to popular Avenue Middle School head who taught thousands of Norwich children
- 10 Pub relying on British public's resolve ahead of reopening outside space
'She said there were no hours for me and that was that. We were really busy at the time because we had an NHS contract. I thought that it didn't add up.
'I took it further to my solicitor and he said it wasn't right.'
Her employment was terminated and she left the business at the end of April.
But she started legal proceedings and following a two-day employment tribunal held in Norwich in December, a judge ruled in favour of Mrs Conoley and she was awarded more than £7,000.
'Last year was horrible,' she said. 'I should have been excited about the baby but the year was tarnished by the tribunal.'
Her daughter, Sophia, was born on October 22.
Nobody from Back in Motion was available to comment.