Artists with mental health issues showcase their skills in Norwich exhibition
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2014
United by a love of creativity, a group of artists with mental health issues organised their second major exhibition in the city centre after the first one was so successful.
The Well Artists exhibited at The Forum this week, and said their group has gone from strength to strength a year after their first exhibition at the venue.
Photographer Matthew Tullett, 38, began taking daily pictures after a bipolar relapse last year. His work was among the pieces being sold.
'It's really supportive, if the group wasn't there I wouldn't be taking photos, or they would just be left on my computer,' he said.
'It's a way of getting your creativity out there and supporting each other.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Tullett, who lives in Attleborough, found his latest project not only resulted in him creating work to exhibit and sell, but helped him manage his mental health at the same time.
'It's a mindfulness technique,' he said. 'You don't think about the past or worry about the future, it's about now.'
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 4 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 5 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 6 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 7 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes
- 8 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 9 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 10 Progress on plan for 4,000 homes near Norwich to be revealed
Also featured at the Forum was Rory Bowskill, who showcased some of his paintings at last year's exhibition, but has since focused his work on mechanics.
'I can't do so much painting because of my arthritis now, so I'm doing more 3D pieces,' he added.
'Over the winter I'm going to be working on making a Cheshire cat which disappears, leaving only the grin.'
Members of the group meets on the first Friday of every month at 11am at the Workshop on Earlham Road to discuss their work and possible exhibitions.
This exhibition was funded by the Brief Community Fund through the Norfolk Community Foundation, Norfolk County Council and the Forum Trust.
For more information, search for The Well Artists on Facebook.
Are you planning a community exhibition? Email firstname.lastname@example.org