Arsonists strike at Yarmouth youth club for second time
Dominic BarehamThe future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.Dominic Bareham
The future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.
Arsonists torched Newtown Youth Centre, in Yarmouth, at 6am yesterday , destroying much of the equipment inside and damaging the exterior of the converted ship container, which had buckled in the heat.
The first attack happened in October and much of the equipment destroyed in yesterday's fire had been supplied by local businesses and holiday parks to replace items damaged in the first incident.
The centre's secretary Carl Harding was called out to the incident by one of the centre's volunteers, Amanda Goodrum, who had seen flames shooting from the building after driving past on her way to work.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'At this moment in time I don't know whether we will carry onl it is completely up in the air. It took a big pick me up to get us going before and to get us going again, it is going to take an even bigger pick me up.'
The centre is still waiting to receive �50,000 lottery funding from ITV's People's Millions fund to pay for a new portable building at the site.
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Daughters hold dad's hand one last time in emotional hospital goodbye
- 4 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 6 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 9 Motorcyclist taken to hospital with leg injuries after NDR crash
- 10 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk