Arsonists strike at Yarmouth youth club for second time
Dominic BarehamThe future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.Dominic Bareham
The future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.
Arsonists torched Newtown Youth Centre, in Yarmouth, at 6am yesterday , destroying much of the equipment inside and damaging the exterior of the converted ship container, which had buckled in the heat.
The first attack happened in October and much of the equipment destroyed in yesterday's fire had been supplied by local businesses and holiday parks to replace items damaged in the first incident.
The centre's secretary Carl Harding was called out to the incident by one of the centre's volunteers, Amanda Goodrum, who had seen flames shooting from the building after driving past on her way to work.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'At this moment in time I don't know whether we will carry onl it is completely up in the air. It took a big pick me up to get us going before and to get us going again, it is going to take an even bigger pick me up.'
The centre is still waiting to receive �50,000 lottery funding from ITV's People's Millions fund to pay for a new portable building at the site.
- 1 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 4 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 5 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 10 Man died by suicide two days before Christmas, inquest hears