Arsonists strike at Yarmouth youth club for second time
Dominic BarehamThe future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.Dominic Bareham
The future of a Norfolk youth centre is in doubt after arsonists struck for the second time in five months, destroying much of the building.
Arsonists torched Newtown Youth Centre, in Yarmouth, at 6am yesterday , destroying much of the equipment inside and damaging the exterior of the converted ship container, which had buckled in the heat.
The first attack happened in October and much of the equipment destroyed in yesterday's fire had been supplied by local businesses and holiday parks to replace items damaged in the first incident.
The centre's secretary Carl Harding was called out to the incident by one of the centre's volunteers, Amanda Goodrum, who had seen flames shooting from the building after driving past on her way to work.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'At this moment in time I don't know whether we will carry onl it is completely up in the air. It took a big pick me up to get us going before and to get us going again, it is going to take an even bigger pick me up.'
The centre is still waiting to receive �50,000 lottery funding from ITV's People's Millions fund to pay for a new portable building at the site.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 4 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 5 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 6 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 7 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 8 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 9 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 10 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today