Appeal continues for 1st Norwich Sea Scouts headquarters
Fundraising is well under way for a new headquarters which will help bring the 1st Norwich Sea Scouts group into the 21st century.
The group has been trying to raise funds for nearly three years to replace its 'tired and run-down' headquarters in Lakenham, and it hopes that by the spring they will be ready to start the building work.
Kelvin Woodard, project treasurer, said: 'We can't do anything with the building. It is subsiding, has concrete coming off and an asbestos roof.'
They aim to replace it with a building that will be fully accessible, energy efficient and built from sustainable materials.
'It is going to be a building that takes us into the 21st century,' he said.
The target is to raise �400,000, with work able to start when they reach �300,000. More than 100 charitable trusts have been contacted with grants and donations received from a wide range of sources, as well as a Sponsor a Plank Appeal and the Great Norwich Duck Race.
To date, they have raised �228,350, with 90pc from Norwich sources. However, after fees they have �163,150 towards their total.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 2 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 3 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 4 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 5 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
- 6 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 7 Staff 'distraught' after sought-after nursery closes
- 8 Street food restaurant launches unlimited wings night
- 9 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 10 Cabbies could protest over lost £400 a month
Mr Woodard said: 'We would like to start the building process next spring, but it is difficult. We could get a cheque and start tomorrow or it could be another 10 years.'
The 1st Norwich Sea Scouts, which has 70 members aged six to 18, have been on the site on Old Lakenham Hall Drive since 1935.
For more details or to help the fundraising, visit www.1stnorwichseascouts.co.uk or email email@example.com
Are you trying to raise money for a community project? Contact Richard Wood on 01603 772423 or firstname.lastname@example.org