Appeal continues for 1st Norwich Sea Scouts headquarters
Fundraising is well under way for a new headquarters which will help bring the 1st Norwich Sea Scouts group into the 21st century.
The group has been trying to raise funds for nearly three years to replace its 'tired and run-down' headquarters in Lakenham, and it hopes that by the spring they will be ready to start the building work.
Kelvin Woodard, project treasurer, said: 'We can't do anything with the building. It is subsiding, has concrete coming off and an asbestos roof.'
They aim to replace it with a building that will be fully accessible, energy efficient and built from sustainable materials.
'It is going to be a building that takes us into the 21st century,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
The target is to raise �400,000, with work able to start when they reach �300,000. More than 100 charitable trusts have been contacted with grants and donations received from a wide range of sources, as well as a Sponsor a Plank Appeal and the Great Norwich Duck Race.
To date, they have raised �228,350, with 90pc from Norwich sources. However, after fees they have �163,150 towards their total.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Dinosaur-themed food trail running in Norwich restaurants this summer
Mr Woodard said: 'We would like to start the building process next spring, but it is difficult. We could get a cheque and start tomorrow or it could be another 10 years.'
The 1st Norwich Sea Scouts, which has 70 members aged six to 18, have been on the site on Old Lakenham Hall Drive since 1935.
For more details or to help the fundraising, visit www.1stnorwichseascouts.co.uk or email email@example.com
Are you trying to raise money for a community project? Contact Richard Wood on 01603 772423 or firstname.lastname@example.org