Another Norwich student qualifies for Miss England semi-finals
A Norwich student who had never modelled before has landed a place in the Miss England semi-finals after she was 'spotted' on a trip for her college course.
Emma-Lee Hurst was with a group of fellow beauty therapy students at the Clothes Show Live at Birmingham's NEC arena last December when she was approached by modelling scouts.
The 17-year-old, who is studying at City College Norwich, was originally sceptical about people claiming to be modelling talent scouts, but after checking their credentials online, she decided to find out how far her looks would take her in the competition.
The former Reepham High School student from Bawdeswell, near Dereham, was then entered into a heat for one of the places in the Miss England semi-finals given to Fresh Academy in Watford.
Emma-Lee made it into the top six of the heat, and has now found out that she won the heat.
You may also want to watch:
The delighted student, who one day wants to own a beauty salon and works part-time as a waitress at Lenwade House Hotel, said she was 'very flattered and excited'.
'I'd never done anything like it before and had always had an interest in modelling so thought it would be a good thing to get involved with,' she added.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
'But I wasn't expecting to get this far so I'm really happy to have got into the semi-finals.'
Emma-Lee will join another Norfolk contestant in the semi-finals. As reported in the Evening News recently, Hellesdon's Amy Spinks won the Miss Norwich crown to reach the semi-finals.
They will both now head to the luxurious Champneys Springs in Leicestershire on Monday, June 13.
Emma Lee, who is 5ft 10in with brown hair and green eyes, said: 'This gives me only four weeks to prepare.
'I'll have to take part in a boot camp-style sports round, fund raise for the Variety Club Children's Charity, find company sponsorship, create a DVD showing my talents and prepare an eco-outfit created by me from recycled materials.
'I will also be interviewed by judges and take part in an evening pageant.Lenwade House Hotel has given me lots of support and encouragement, which I am very grateful for, and they have also agreed to be my sponsors for the event.'
If the Norfolk pair make it through to the Miss England finals then they will have the chance to succeed the reigning queen Jessica Linley, who was crowned Miss Norwich in 2008.
Have you entered a high-profile competition? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org