Anger over Wymondham parking charges
Adam GrettonMarket town leaders in south Norfolk called for a lowering of car parking charges after it emerged that the district council made more than �140,000 profit in fees and fines.Adam Gretton
Market town leaders in south Norfolk called for a lowering of car parking charges after it emerged that the district council made more than �140,000 profit in fees and fines.
A controversial new pay and display system was introduced at 13 off-street car parks in Wymondham, Loddon, and Diss two years ago.
Figures obtained by the Evening News show the local authority received more than �240,000 in charges and fines over the last year and spent �99,000 on maintenance and resurfacing.
John Fuller, leader of South Norfolk Council, said the introduction of parking charges had helped shopkeepers by discouraging drivers from blocking spaces all day, and that investment in the car parks two years ago needed to be paid back.
Dan Gavrovski , of the Wymondham Business Group, said: 'It used to be thriving here, but shoppers are trying to get out of town as quickly as possible.'
- 1 Chim chim, I do! Couple tie the knot in Mary Poppins-themed wedding
- 2 Military helicopters spotted flying over Norfolk
- 3 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 4 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 5 Are you the mystery Norwich builder Peter Crouch is searching for?
- 6 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 7 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 8 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 9 Hidden 90-acre wildlife haven in city secured after £600k investment
- 10 Missing Taverham man found safe and well