Anger over Wymondham parking charges
Adam GrettonMarket town leaders in south Norfolk called for a lowering of car parking charges after it emerged that the district council made more than �140,000 profit in fees and fines.Adam Gretton
Market town leaders in south Norfolk called for a lowering of car parking charges after it emerged that the district council made more than �140,000 profit in fees and fines.
A controversial new pay and display system was introduced at 13 off-street car parks in Wymondham, Loddon, and Diss two years ago.
Figures obtained by the Evening News show the local authority received more than �240,000 in charges and fines over the last year and spent �99,000 on maintenance and resurfacing.
John Fuller, leader of South Norfolk Council, said the introduction of parking charges had helped shopkeepers by discouraging drivers from blocking spaces all day, and that investment in the car parks two years ago needed to be paid back.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Gavrovski , of the Wymondham Business Group, said: 'It used to be thriving here, but shoppers are trying to get out of town as quickly as possible.'
- 1 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 2 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 3 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 4 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 5 Jubilant scenes as pub punters enjoy first city Friday night back
- 6 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 7 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 8 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 9 Probe into woman's death continues following suspected arson
- 10 Police quiz man over murder and three attempted murders