All that glitters is gold this Christmas
Tis' the season to embrace glitter and this year sequins are on more than just your party dress as fashion goes glitzy for the festive season, says Emma Harrowing.
There is no other time of the year than this when you can douse yourself in glitter and carry off the look in style. Sequins, embellishments and metallics feature on everything from party dresses to jumpers this winter so there is no doubt that we are in for a very glamorous season.
Thanks to the Christmas backdrop of decoration and elegance, the sparkle trend is a look that can be worn by anyone of any age. The secret to looking stylish is the same as any other fashion - dress to suit your shape.
For the evening choose a sparkly dress; a floor length number will elongate your body if you go for one that is one colour and all over sparkle, a dress with a fitted bodice and floaty or A-line skirt is perfect for showing off your waist and skimming over thighs and a long sleeved tunic style dress is ideal if you have a straight body and you do not like showing off your arms.
Glitter and glamour are not just for the ballroom, knitted jumpers with delicately stitched sequins are in many collections on the high street. The Somerset by Alice Temperley collection in John Lewis has a great gold sequin jumper or for a more purse-friendly version Vanilla on Ipswich Road has a range in silver or gold. All will look great with a pair of skinny jeans and ankle boots.
Despite classic seasonal sparkle adorning most outfits this month, some will shy away from the glitz and instead prefer to wear a little black dress for the Christmas party or relegate sequins and glitter for evening only. Yet sparkle can still win this battle of the classics. A jewelled encrusted collar necklace will instantly update last year's party frock, jumper for the weekend and a blouse for work. A glitter belt can pull you in at the waist to highlight the slimmest part of your body or a sequin jacket will cover your arms in style and take your day outfit into the evening in a flash. Even a sparkly clutch bag will give your look a boost for the magic season.
The window of opportunity to wear sequins and glitter to your heart's content is only open for one month - so let's make this month as glitzy and as glamorous as can be.
- 1 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 2 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 3 Mystery over how grotty sofa ended up on garage roof
- 4 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 5 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 6 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 7 Efforts step up to protect city park from development
- 8 Norfolk cheese restaurant is launching bottomless brunch this summer
- 9 Glimpses of Norwich week 25: a picture a day from a week in our fine city
- 10 Norfolk areas with the most and fewest Covid deaths in 2020 and 2021
See all the looks from our pick of this season's glitter trend and enter our competition to win a �200 giftcard to spend in Outfit on Riverside in your Evening News tomorrow (Thursday December 13).