Ale drinkers in Norwich can help give Royal British Legion a major shot in the arm
Bosses of a charity which supports soldiers who have been injured in conflicts across the world and their families are hoping ale drinkers will help give their fundraising a boost.
The Norwich branch of the Royal British Legion (RBL) approached Attleborough-based Wolf brewery with the idea of creating a specially brewed beer for the charity to be sold not only in Norwich, but throughout the country too.
Poppy Ale is now on sale at a number of pubs in the city and will be available for distribution to the RBL's 600 clubs across the country after it was launched at The Murderers pub in Norwich.
The charity will now receive �7 from every firkin of the 4.2pc ABV beer that's sold, the equivalent of 10p per pint, which it says will help make a huge difference to the lives of many people.
Jenny Simpson, a volunteer with the Norwich branch, who suggested the idea, said she was delighted the charity had a new way of raising funds. She said: 'The idea of this is not just for the two week Poppy Appeal, but it will be for all next year and beyond. We want it to be an ongoing thing.
You may also want to watch:
'We're hoping it will be picked up by Royal British Legion clubs across England and the UK. If 600 RBL clubs buy a firkin a week that's �3,000.'
Ernie Green, chairman of the Norwich branch of the RBL, said the creation of the beer gave beer drinkers an opportunity to be able to support the charity and was a 'nice way to raise the profile' of the RBL.
- 1 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 2 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 3 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 4 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 5 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 6 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
- 7 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 8 Man, 83, 'absolutely gutted' after thieves pinch his £2,500 e-bike
- 9 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 10 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
A spokesman for Wolf said: 'We take great pleasure in being able to be the brewer that's supporting such an important cause and the many members of the Royal British Legion and all the fantastic work they do.'
He added that Wolf intends to brew the beer all year round, but needed the support of the purchasing public to do so.
The Norwich branch launches its annual Poppy Appeal in the city this month and will have its own store in the Castle Mall from October 28 until November 12. The shop, which will have details about RBL memberships, will open between 10am and 4.30pm.
To find out more about the Evening News's Love Your Local campaign log onto www.eveningnews24.co.uk