ABBA star set for Norfolk festival?
Sarah HallABBA star Benny Andersson has been sent an invitation to perform in Norfolk - at this summer's Hemsby Viking festival.Sarah Hall
Former Abba star Benny Andersson is being invited to perform in Norfolk - at a festival commemorating Scandinavian 'visitors' to our shores long, long ago.
Organisers of the Hemsby Viking Festival hope the Swedish musician and composer - who performs with his own band following the break-up of the 1970s supergroup, will make a VIP appearance.
Viking-themed festivities will include displays by a history group, which will
re-enact battles and create a Viking village for the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
There will be Abba tribute acts, a Scandinavian market with craft, clothes, gift and food stalls, plus Scandinavian folk music.
Simon Middleton, the branding expert who is trying to help shake off Hemsby's sleepy image, said: 'We've invited Benny Andersson to take part and to judge the Abba tribute competition.'
- 1 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 8 Drink-driver caught on flyover after police spot 'worrying' driving
- 9 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 10 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
He came up with the idea of
the Viking-themed festival because of the area's history.
Like many villages on the Norfolk coast, Hemsby was settled by Viking invaders around 800AD.
Mr Andersson, who
co-composed the musicals Chess and Mamma Mia! has yet to confirm whether he will be at the festival, to take place in the village from the afternoon of Friday, June 18 until Sunday, June 20.