A new way to lose weight in Yarmouth and Waveney
Stephen PullingerSlimmers across Great Yarmouth and Waveney are invited to sign up for a new free weight management course using behaviour change to help shift pounds.Stephen Pullinger
Slimmers across Great Yarmouth and Waveney are invited to sign up for a new free weight management course using behaviour change to help shift pounds.
Instead of a usual diet, the Do Something Different programme, being funded by NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney (NHS GYW), tackles people's behaviour rather than focusing on dieting.
Being rolled out this month, the new 12-week weight loss programme has never been delivered in the area before.
Shamsher Diu, public health consultant for NHS GYW, said: 'This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone thinking about losing weight - but who may have been unsuccessful in the past - to get on board and find out how this may help them.'
You may also want to watch:
The programme is based on changing behaviour by asking the individuals to do different tasks each day to help break down familiar patterns in their lifestyle. Any slimmer who joins will also be asked to complete a questionnaire before the start of the programme to find out more about their behaviour patterns.
Dr Diu said: 'Instead of driving one way to work, one of the tasks may be to drive a different route to work, or instead of going home and turning on the television it may be to change that behaviour for an entire night.'
- 1 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 2 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 3 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 6 New bus and cycle lane opens after traffic disruption into city
- 7 Jailed in Norfolk last week: Drug dealer, £1.3m fraudster and paedophile
- 8 What next for The Birdcage in Norwich?
- 9 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 10 Music shop for rent after couple bow out after 34 years
Health professionals will be able to refer people directly onto the programme, but individuals can also refer themselves by calling 0800 027 6413, texting CHANGE to 65000 or emailing email@example.com