A culinary career for civil engineer
A civil engineer who was forced to give up work after suffering a shoulder injury now has a new venture in the culinary world.
Duncan Farquhar, 43, from the Heartsease area of Norwich, has recently taken over The Brunch Bar based on the North Walsham industrial estate, after being forced to retire from work because of ill health, which resulted in him being unemployed for two years.
He runs the business with the help of a local businessman, who wants to remain a silent partner.
Mr Farquhar worked in civil engineering for 25 years, 10 of which were spent with CityCare. He has family members helping him run the caf� at the moment but is hoping to take on more staff as the business expands.
While out of work he had to give up his beloved Harley Davidson FXR Sport to help finance himself, but a picture of the bike has pride of place on the caf� wall, and he hopes that if the business goes well he may be able to buy another bike.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'Running the business has given me real energy. I have always been able to cook and have cooked all my life and the aim of the caf� is to get a reputation for using fresh ingredients, giving value for money and helping to support other local businesses.'
Mr Farquhar says he is using local suppliers for his products, including a local bakery and butcher. He has also recently been awarded five stars by environmental health officers.
- 1 Bid to turn Norwich pub into health clinic
- 2 9 of the best farm shops in Norfolk
- 3 Expansion will see 250 extra places at oversubscribed school
- 4 Date set for High Court showdown over £271m Anglia Square plans
- 5 Fresh questions over 'Japanese restaurant' in Norwich home
- 6 Boost for outdoor drinking and dining when Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Family's horror after learning mother was buried in wrong grave
- 8 New owners of hairdressers plan to buy out 10 salons in six months
- 9 The Norwich pub quiz: do you know your locals?
- 10 9 big movies filmed in Norfolk - and why there could be more
The caf� is open all year round from 6.30am–3.15pm on weekdays and 7am–2pm on Saturdays.
Have you overcome adversity to set up a new business? Contact the Evening News on 01603 772443 or email email@example.com.