�400,000 pitch project progressing at the UEA
Building work is now under way to add three new seven-a-side state of the art soccer pitches on to the Soccerpark at Sportspark, at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
Sixty extra car park spaces are also being added onto the Sportspark car park. Developers have now moved on site and construction is scheduled to be finished by the end of January, weather permitting.
The �400,000 extension is being carried out by Bernhards, a specialist contractor. Each 48m by 24m pitch will have a 3rd Generation synthetic grass surface.
The pitches are sand filled, topped with a rubber crumb and long fibre pile. The surface provides optimum cushioning for the player and a true bounce for football.
The new pitches are being added next to four existing five-a-side 3G pitches which are enclosed with rebound boards, and six seven-a-side sand dressed Astroturf pitches.
Director of Sportspark, Keith Nicholls said: 'We already have more small sided soccer pitches than anywhere else in East Anglia. After this extension we will have 13 pitches for the public to hire.
'The larger sized 3G pitches will give our customers even more choice when it comes to size and surface, as well as extremely good value for money. No matter what level of football you play at, there is the right pitch for you at Sportspark.'
- 1 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 2 £3.1m roadworks on new bus lane and crossings could last for ONE YEAR
- 3 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 4 High-flyer at school to heroin addict - City homeless man reveals his story
- 5 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 Seven-bed Edwardian home with heated swimming pool for sale
- 8 Busy road to partially close for line repainting at end of new bus lane
- 9 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 10 Cockapoo Café coming to Norwich next month
Pitches cost �18 per hour off peak and �28 per hour at other times. For regular teams, pitches can also be block booked to guarantee them at the same time every week.
The new pitches are due to open at the end of January, weather permitting. The turf has been laid and builders require at least a week of dry weather to fill the area with sand and rubber granules and connect the floodlights. After the work is complete, 60 extra car park spaces will also be created.
The extension of Soccerpark comes during Sportspark's 10th anniversary year. The centre is expanding with work also due to start in the New Year on an Olympic Gymnastic centre, scheduled to open in September 2011.