An abandoned caravan causing frustration in Thorpe St Andrew could soon be towed away.

People have reported seeing a man living in the vehicle, in South Hill Road, as well as seeing waste beginning to pile up outside the caravan but the caravan has remained on the side of the road for a number of weeks. 

Ian Mackie, Conservative county and district councillor for Thorpe St Andrew, said: “The caravan arrived a couple of weeks ago.  

READ MORE: Neighbours annoyed by Thorpe St Andrew School alarm ringing

Norwich Evening News: The caravan arrived in South Hill Road a couple of weeks ago

READ MORE: Lodge Lane school's parking signs in Old Catton following Police warning 

“It was hoped that the owner was going to move on within a few days but unfortunately that simply has not happened.  

“This is a quiet residential area with narrow roads and the caravan has been left straddling the public highway and the footpath – it's totally inappropriate for it to be parked there.”  

Ian has spoken to Norfolk County Council and Broadland District Council and the Broadland environmental enforcement team plan to issue an abandoned vehicle notice.  

Officials have previously spoken to the owner but more recent visits to the caravan have found that they are no longer living there as there is no sign of him or anything to indicate he is using it when looking in the windows. 

READ MORE: Hellesdon High School strict toilet rules continue

Norwich Evening News: Ian Mackie has spoken with Broadland District Council who will issue a abandoned vehicle notice

Ian said: “The tyres are deflated, and people are rightly concerned about having this eyesore dumped on their doorstep.  

“There is no running water or other services to the caravan so it is not suitable to live in and could pose a health risk.” 

The notice is set to be issued this week and from there the owner will be given 48 hours to move the vehicle or it will be towed away. 

Government legislation about abandoned vehicles states authorities can dispose of the vehicle as they see fit, such as selling it at auction or having it destroyed at an authorised treatment facility.

If it is sold, the owner can claim the money raised up to a year later, minus the authorities’ removal, storage and disposal costs.