Search

22,000 people attend Let’s Rock and Sunday Sessions at Earlham Park

PUBLISHED: 18:58 28 May 2018 | UPDATED: 10:34 29 May 2018

Sunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWER

Sunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWER

Blanc Photography 2013

More than 22,000 people descended on Earlham Park over spring bank holiday weekend for Lets Rock Norwich and Sunday Sessions.

Sunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWERSunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWER

Let’s Rock Norwich! took fans back to the 80s for the second year in a row on Saturday, with performances from acts such as The Human League and Jason Donovan.

On Sunday a new festival called Sunday Sessions brought revellers back to the present day - including sets by Tom Odell, best-known for John Lewis’ Christmas advert, and indie rock stars Reverend and the Makers.

Once the last guests left, organisers promised to return next year with an even better offering.

The biggest draw of the weekend was for Sunday Sessions headliners Kaiser Chiefs, who brought the two-day celebration of music to a close.

Sunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWERSunday Sessions at Norwich's Earlham Park. Picture: LEE BLANCHFLOWER

The full bill for Saturday included Sonia, Real Thing, T’Pau, Katrina, China Crisis and Black Lace, while Sunday added Circa Waves, British Sea Power, The Bluetones, Gabrielle Aplin, Lucy Spraggan, Goldie Lookin Chain Legends to the headline acts.

The events’ organiser UK Live confirmed that the added attraction of the Sunday Sessions has doubled ticket sales over the whole weekend from 2017, with 10,000 tickets sold last year for the Let’s Rock event.

During the Sunday Sessions, The Lockdown stage was closed to children.

The festival posted on social media about the news, and said: “In the interest of safety, particularly for the younger members of our audience, we have made the decision to make the Lockdown stage over 18s only.

“We are sorry if this has caused upset for anyone, but we are sure you understand that the safety of everyone here today is paramount.”

Let’s Rock Norwich, organised by UK Live, first came to Earlham Park last year and attracted 15,000 people.

This year more than 22,000 people came through the gates.

Organisers Matt Smith and Nick Billinghurst promised to be back “bigger and better” next year.

“Over 22,000 people joined us over the weekend at Earlham Park for Lets Rock Norwich and Sunday Sessions and we are overwhelmed by the support we have received,” they said.

“What an amazing venue the people of Norwich really rocked all weekend. We will be back next year bigger and better.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News