18th-century cottage devastated in fire
Victoria LeggettA beautiful 18th-century thatched cottage was devastated by fire on Saturday night.More than 40 fire fighters from eight Norfolk crews spent all night fighting the blaze which began at about 5pm on Mill Road, Dilham, near North Walsham.Victoria Leggett
A beautiful 18th-century thatched cottage was devastated by fire on Saturday night.
More than 40 fire fighters from 10 Norfolk crews spent all night fighting the blaze which began at about 5pm on Mill Road, Dilham, near North Walsham.
The owners, who have lived there for more than 20 years, had been getting ready for a meal with friends when they noticed smoke billowing from the building's thatched roof.
The first floor of the home was gutted as well as the kitchen on the ground floor.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service and a structural engineer are visiting the site today to look at whether it is safe to enter the building.
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 4 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 5 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 6 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 7 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 8 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 9 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 10 Bookshop to close with clothing store set to move in