10 questions with... Sam Coe
- Credit: Sam Coe
Each week we put a Norwich resident in the hot seat and ask them 10 questions about themselves. This week we spoke with Sam Coe, lead singer of local band Sam Coe & The Long Shadows who will be performing at the Country 2 Country Festival at London's O2 arena later this month.
• Describe Norwich in three words…
Magical, creative, home.
• If you were stranded on a deserted island with three people, who would you want them to be?
My dear friend Kelly. I literally couldn't be without her and our ridiculous conversations and the stories we have from growing up together. My bass player Giff because he's exactly the kind of person I'd want to be with in that situation… he'd find water, build a treehouse and kill a lion all on day one. While Kelly and I sunbathed, probably.
You may also want to watch:
Lastly, my puppy Kenny Rogers, I can't bear to be away from him…he was at our EP recording sessions, he's definitely the band mascot and named after a country music legend.
• If you could be anyone else who would you be?
- 1 Six schools in Norwich area closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 2 Wensum Wonderland launching this Christmas with ice rink, market and rides
- 3 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 4 Gonzo's bar saved and set to reopen after funding deal agreed
- 5 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 6 Town to shine this Christmas
- 7 Thousands of jobs at risk as Debenhams faces closure
- 8 Open all hours? Retailers say no thanks to 24/7 shopping
- 9 An ‘Après Ski’ inspired food and drink event is coming to Norwich
- 10 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
Sabrina The Teenage Witch. Flashback to my '90s childhood!
• How would you spend a perfect weekend in Norwich?
Once I've finished my Saturday morning singing teaching, I'd head straight to Strangers for a coffee and croissant before a wander around the Cathedral. Then I'd do a spot of shopping, making sure to walk through the beautiful Royal Arcade. In the evening I'd go to the Theatre Royal or Playhouse for a show, then on Sunday take a trip to the Broads for a long dog walk and lots of fresh air.
• Would you rather spend a night in front of the telly or a night out in the city?
A night out in the city, there is so much live music happening in Norwich you can always find somewhere to catch a great gig or performance… also I just cannot get to sleep prior to midnight!
• What's your mantra in life?
Life is too short to be bored, I try and constantly push myself into new adventures and opportunities.
• Which song defines your life?
That's such a difficult one for me, but there's one song I always go back to which is 'The House That Built Me' by Miranda Lambert. A beautiful song that had me in tears the first time I heard it, it's a modern country song that tells a fantastic story about the place you grow up building you into the person you are.
• What one thing could you never be without?
I feel dreadful admitting it, but it has to be my iPhone. I run my business and band from it and I really would be no where near as productive without it. I love the fact that I can wake up in the morning and answer 10 emails before even leaving bed if I want to! I spend a lot of time promoting what we do as a band on social media, and love the fact I can interact with thousands of people at once with a simple post from my telephone. However, there are also times when I wish it wasn't quite so easy to get hold of me… I often feel a digital detox holiday is required!
• What's your biggest fear?
I often have nightmares that involve deep water, and the thought of being in or on it does really scare me. However, to see a Blue Whale is on my bucket list so I guess I'm going to have to get over it at some point!
• What would you do if you won the lottery?
Travel, everywhere I possibly could. Then buy a log cabin in the Smoky Mountains and live out the rest of my days surrounded by pine trees and mountain music. Obviously coming back to Norwich for Christmases!
• If you'd like to take part in this feature, email firstname.lastname@example.org