10 questions with... Andrew Slater from English Touring Opera
- Credit: norwich theatre royal
Each week we put someone in the hot seat and ask them 10 questions about themselves. This week we spoke with Andrew Slater following his latest visit to Norwich when he performed the title role of Gianni Schicchi for English Touring Opera's return to the Theatre Royal on May 3-5.
Describe Norwich in three words...
Bustling, friendly, surprising. There is even more Norwich around every corner.
If you were stranded on a deserted island with three people, who would you want them to be?
A drummer, a string player and a barman with me on piano and vocals. No rescue needed.
You may also want to watch:
If you could be anyone else, who would you be?
I'm quite impressed with Elon Musk for building re-useable rockets and sending a car into space. Really though, I am happy being me singing live.
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 6 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 7 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears
How would you spend a perfect weekend in Norwich?
Well it would obviously have to be a Saturday night at the opera which is perceived as entertaining but will get me into my wife's good books. Actually it would be very entertaining.
Would you rather spend a night in front of the TV or a night out in the city?
I think I am a bit old for a night out on the town but I guess the vibrant Norwich nightlife might tempt me.
What is your mantra in life?
Enjoy pushing gently on the doors that open easily.
Which song defines your life?
The Vagabond by Vaughan Williams which was suggested by my wife who says I look like a tramp. Harsh but probably fair.
What is your biggest fear?
A road accident. I drive a lot and often see crashes. I really don't want it to be me.
Which one thing could you never be without?
Water. The highest priority of opera singers is hydration.
• If you'd like to take part in this feature, email email@example.com