10 questions with... Andrew Slater from English Touring Opera
- Credit: norwich theatre royal
Each week we put someone in the hot seat and ask them 10 questions about themselves. This week we spoke with Andrew Slater following his latest visit to Norwich when he performed the title role of Gianni Schicchi for English Touring Opera's return to the Theatre Royal on May 3-5.
Describe Norwich in three words...
Bustling, friendly, surprising. There is even more Norwich around every corner.
If you were stranded on a deserted island with three people, who would you want them to be?
A drummer, a string player and a barman with me on piano and vocals. No rescue needed.
You may also want to watch:
If you could be anyone else, who would you be?
I'm quite impressed with Elon Musk for building re-useable rockets and sending a car into space. Really though, I am happy being me singing live.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 8 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 'They don't add up' - Mixed reaction to city development plans
How would you spend a perfect weekend in Norwich?
Well it would obviously have to be a Saturday night at the opera which is perceived as entertaining but will get me into my wife's good books. Actually it would be very entertaining.
Would you rather spend a night in front of the TV or a night out in the city?
I think I am a bit old for a night out on the town but I guess the vibrant Norwich nightlife might tempt me.
What is your mantra in life?
Enjoy pushing gently on the doors that open easily.
Which song defines your life?
The Vagabond by Vaughan Williams which was suggested by my wife who says I look like a tramp. Harsh but probably fair.
What is your biggest fear?
A road accident. I drive a lot and often see crashes. I really don't want it to be me.
Which one thing could you never be without?
Water. The highest priority of opera singers is hydration.
• If you'd like to take part in this feature, email firstname.lastname@example.org