10 foot tall England fan backs Norwich pub
David BaleThousands of England football fans will be packing into city pubs to watch matches on big screens during the World Cup - and one Norwich landlord has proudly attached a 10ft inflatable England fan to the front of the watering hole to give him a headstart on his rivals.David Bale
Thousands of England football fans will be packing into city pubs to watch matches on big screens during the World Cup - and one Norwich landlord has proudly attached a 10ft inflatable England fan to the front of the watering hole to give him a headstart on his rivals.
As the Evening News' Love Your Local campaign, which aims to get punters back inside pubs, has reported, city landlords have been forced by the recession to become more adept at getting people through their doors.
Many have come up with innovative ideas to get drinkers back inside and away from their television sets.
But with the World Cup starting in June 11 and England's first game against the US on the next day, all publicans are hoping the 'feel good' effect will boost trade in the summer months.
You may also want to watch:
And Kevin Hopkins, who runs the Ketts Tavern at Ketts Hill with wife Dawn, has not wasted any time in revealing his colours.
He said: 'The inflatable is part of the pub's preparations for the World Cup, which we're very excited about.'
- 1 How landlord behind squalid flats was finally brought to justice
- 2 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 3 See work to transform former bakery into £13m site
- 4 Landlord fined £6,100 for state of Norwich apartment block
- 5 Extinction Rebellion protesters arrested for smashing Barclays windows
- 6 Vulnerable 15-year-old brought to Norwich from London to deal drugs
- 7 'Delighted to be out again' - City centre pub gardens proving popular
- 8 Wrestling school stars in Channel 4 show with top comedian
- 9 Concerns for missing 29-year-old Norfolk man's welfare
- 10 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
Mr Hopkins, who is a Norwich City FC season ticket holder, also owns The Rose, on Queens Rd in Norwich.
He added: 'Both of our pubs are well known to Norwich City fans and we wanted to let everybody know where to come to watch the World Cup, so The Rose will be getting its own inflatable man early next week.'
The Ketts Tavern will be practising for the World Cup by showing the Japan v England game on Sunday lunchtime on a 42inch HD big screen in the beer garden.
'The screen in the garden will come out for all the major games, and will get a trial run this weekend, when we will also be serving our ever popular Sunday lunch followed by a barbecue,' Mr Hopkins added.
For more information contact the pub on 01603 449654, or keep updated and become a friend on Facebook: Kettstavern Norwich.
The Evening News' Love Your Local campaign aims to get punters back into pubs or risk losing them for good.
To see previous stories from our campaign log on to www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
What is your local pub doing for the World Cup? Ring reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.