Norwich is named third most festive city in the UK
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Norwich has been named the third most festive town or city in the UK, according to research carried out by Royal Mail.
The company's address management unit analysed over 31 million addresses to evaluate the impact that the festive season has had on the naming of the nation's streets and houses.
It found that the fine city boasts 459 festive street and house names, putting it in third place behind York, which has 480, and London, which has 675.
Festive addresses in Norwich include Angel Road, Carol Close and King Street, which is also the UK's most popular festive street name, with 1,617 recorded across the country.
Royal Mail's research revealed that over 50,000 addresses across the UK bear a Christmas-linked moniker, including seven per cent - around 23,000 - of the nation's named homes.
You may also want to watch:
Among the most popular names for individual properties are "Ivy Cottage," "Holly Cottage" and "Holly House". In fact, there are 7,600 addresses in the country linked to the name 'Holly', as well as almost 3,000 named "Ivy Cottage" and over 250 properties called "Christmas Cottage."
Steve Rooney, head of Royal Mail's address management unit, said: "Street, house and building names chiefly reflect our nation's heritage and primary interests. The enduring spirit of Christmas clearly extends well past December 25 in the UK, as so many festive terms are resonant in the names of our streets and houses."
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 4 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 5 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 9 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
Here is Royal Mail's full list of festive towns and cities across the UK.
1. London (675)
2. York (480)
3. Norwich (459)
4. Bristol (341)
5. Manchester (304)
6. Maidstone (211)
7. Guildford (200)
8. Doncaster (198)
9. Birmingham (186)
10. Leeds (181)
11. Ipswich (168)
12. Bury St Edmunds (157)
13. Nottingham (144)
14. Lincoln (141)
15. Banbury (132)
16. Leicester (128)
17. Bridgend (126)
= Sheffield (126)
19. Gloucester (107)
20. Exeter (102)