Norwich eyesore home could be seized by council
A Norwich home which has been an eyesore for years looks set for a new lease of life, because city council bosses want to seize it from the owner.
Norwich City Council is seeking a compulsory purchase order which will allow it to snap up 92 Connaught Road, so it can then sell it at auction, with the expectation the buyer will renovate it so a family can live in it once again.
The compulsory purchase order is being submitted to the Secretary of State and, if awarded, the owner is likely to be paid the value of the property.
A spokesman for Norwich City Council said: '92 Connaught Road has been abandoned for many years. It has been unsecure on occasions and we believe people may have squatted there, even though it is dangerous to occupy. It has become an eyesore and has drawn many complaints from neighbours.
'A survey of households near to the property and in other local streets showed an overwhelming desire for us to take some action to improve the appearance of the property and to tackle any associated risk of antisocial behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
'Norwich City Council intends to acquire 92 Connaught Road and then put the property up for public auction.
'This will enable the property to be renovated fully, improving the local area and once again becoming a home to someone.'
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 'People are fed up with roasts': Chef ditches Sunday dinner takeaways
- 5 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 6 Covid team to knock on Norwich doors to get people to self-isolate
- 7 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 8 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 9 Sex offender used secret Twitter account to post indecent material
- 10 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
Adrian Ramsay, Green party ward councillor, said he had been pressing the council to take action.
He said: 'This is something I have spoken to a number of residents about over several years and I 'm pleased the council is now taking action.'
• Are you battling to get an eyesore sorted out where you live? Call Evening News reporter Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org