Consultation begins on plans for 100 homes in Norwich street
People will be able to help to shape the design of an affordable housing development in Norwich when a consultation begins next month.
About 100 homes – a mix of flats and houses – will be built by Orbit Housing Association on a cleared site next to Goldsmith Street.
The final number of homes will be determined by the design, which local residents and businesses can comment on as part of the public consultation before any planning applications are submitted. People will also get the chance to highlight any areas of concern that need to be addressed prior to the application being made.
Having approved the redevelopment of the Goldsmith Street area in June 2011, Norwich City Council's cabinet rubber-stamped the sale of the site to Orbit Housing Association in February. Orbit will begin construction on site by May 2013 with a completion target of March 2015. The council will be able to place a number of people from its waiting list for housing in some of the properties.
The site constitutes an investment of between �9m and �10m in the area along with opportunities for construction jobs. Bert Bremner, portfolio holder for environment and development, said: 'This important consultation is your chance to help shape a sizeable affordable housing development in Norwich. All comments made will be carefully considered.'
You may also want to watch:
Residents and businesses in the Goldsmith Street area will be written to with details of how they can take part in the consultation.
- 1 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 2 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 3 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 4 Jubilant scenes as pub punters enjoy first city Friday night back
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 Probe into woman's death continues following suspected arson
- 7 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 8 Police quiz man over murder and three attempted murders
- 9 Churros and Chorizo to open park cafe near Norwich
- 10 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted