Is this Norwich's 'loneliest' building?
- Credit: Archant / Norwich Society
Tucked away in the city centre stands a tiny building dwarfed by Norwich's ever-towering skyline.
However now some of the lonely little structure's history has been revealed.
The stubby two-storey building stands behind a barrier in St Andrew's Street - surrounded by parked cars.
Vanessa Trevelyan, who works at the Norwich Society, said: "The building looks both lonely and out of place in the city.
"The structure was built as a house in the 15th century and owned by merchant Francis Rugge who was an MP for Norwich.
"He was sheriff in 1572 and mayor in 1598 and 1602.
"What people see now is just one bay of the original five-bay house initially built.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 3 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 4 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 5 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 8 Mobility scooter trashed by hazardous wheelie bins
- 9 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 10 Thousands needed to restore historic Norwich village sign
"The first floor was a guest room and the ground floor was the store room.
"The large doorway was needed to enable carts and pack horses to enter and unload in privacy."
The mini building - just one small room in width - is now part of neighbouring Russell House owned by BT.
It is used as part of a telephone exchange site and is not open to the public.
Ms Trevelyan added: "The building later became a church hall with a passage from the cellar leading off towards St. Andrew's Church.
"Recently this has been sealed off by a brick wall.
"Then in the 19th century the building was incorporated into a Victorian girls' school which first opened in Norwich way back in 1708 at a time when education was not compulsory.
"It was established along with eight other city charity schools and in the 19th century the school expanded into this Tudor merchant’s house in St Andrew’s Street.
"By 1843 there were about 400 girls attending – parents had to pay for some of the school fees and this was topped up by donations from charity groups in the city.
"When the school moved out in 1930 a cinema was built on the site and all but the current remaining fragment of the house was demolished.
"In 1970 the Post Office telecommunications took over the site and preserved the Tudor fragment which was used to house the Norwich Area Telephone Museum."
Norwich's tiniest buildings
There are plenty of other teeny buildings dotted throughout the city that only keen-eyed passers by may spot.
The Vine Thai Cuisine building dates all the way back to 1842 and is known as one of the city's smallest establishments.
Located in the Norwich Lanes the cosy little restaurant - which serves a range of drinks and Thai food - allows people to sit down at the bar and be only a few feet away from someone by the window overlooking the street.
Another pint-sized pub is The Malt and Mardle located in Magdalen Street.
First opened in July 2021 the micropub has recently gone under a slight renovation, however, this doesn't stop it from being on the small side.
It was the first micropub in Norwich to open and offers a wide variety of real ale and craft beer made in the UK.