National Trust will keep outdoor spaces open during lockdown
- Credit: © ARCHANT NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHIC
As the nation prepares for another lockdown, the National Trust has vowed to keep its outdoor spaces open.
In Norfolk, the Trust looks after a number of open spaces including the Blickling Estate near Aylsham, Oxburgh Hall, near Swaffham, the Felbrigg Estate near Cromer, Sheringham Park, and more along the north Norfolk coast.
A statement from the Trust said: “Following the government’s announcement of a four-week lockdown in England, we intend to keep our gardens, parks and countryside sites open but will close our houses, shops and holiday accommodation in England from Thursday, November 5.
“Our coast and countryside sites and car parks will remain open. We intend to keep our gardens and parklands open with pre-booking to encourage local people to enjoy open space while adhering to the government’s guidance and maintaining social distancing.
“Where possible visitors will still be able to get takeaway food and drink and outdoor play areas will remain open in line with government guidance.
You may also want to watch:
“Our online shop will continue to offer customers gifts, garden and homeware, books and clothing.
“We were forced to make spending cuts and redundancies last month after the crippling financial effect of the coronavirus and have said we’re likely to use the government’s furlough scheme again to avoid further redundancies.”
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 3 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 4 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 5 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 6 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 7 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
The Trust’s director-general, Hilary McGrady, said: “We follow government advice and guidance at all times, in each of the nations we serve.
“We know how important access to green space, nature and fresh air are to people, and we’ll do everything we can to provide them during the next phase. Our priorities will remain the safety and wellbeing of visitors, staff and volunteers.
“We know this month is going to be tough for everyone and we want to give members and visitors as much pleasure, rest and enjoyment as we can.”
Wales is already a week into its fire break lockdown but its National Trust sites will be reopening on November 9.
In Northern Ireland all historic houses are closed, and cafés are only offering a takeaway service.
- Visitors are advised to check the website for opening times and to book.