Do you remember Bonds of Norwich?
- Credit: Archant
Long before John Lewis stood in the centre of All Saints Green in Norwich, the city had its own home-grown Norfolk department store named Bonds of Norwich.
Spending more than 122 years in business, it was founded by Robert Herne Bond as a small drapers shop in 19 Ber Street, where he lived above the shop with wife Mary-Anne.
In 1895 Bonds started to expand gradually.
It acquired adjacent properties along Ber Street, laying the foundations of what became the largest millinery outlet outside London's West End.
After Mr Bond died in 1924, he was succeeded by his elder son William, who led the store as it acquired the thatched cinema in All Saints Green.
The business used it as a restaurant, conference hall and ballroom and it later became a showroom for furniture.
In 1942 the store was destroyed in the Baedeker Raids which led it to begin trading in the car park until it was rebuilt in 1951.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norwich named UK's most romantic destination
- 4 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 5 City staff facing 'mass burnout' but what is behind the extreme exhaustion?
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Fresh plans for rooftop bar on St Stephens
- 8 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 9 Women to boycott city nightclubs amid rise in drink spiking
- 10 Changes in gambling habits see city bookies shutting up shop
It was eventually bought by John Lewis in 1982 but it continued to trade under the Bonds name until 2001, when it eventually became John Lewis.