April 16 2014 Latest news:
By STEVE DOWNES
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Supergroup Status Quo will not be rockin’ all over Sheringham Carnival, after a planned August gig was cancelled due to “production problems relating to the Olympics”.
But the promoter behind the bid to bring them to the town said he hoped they would make it for the 2013 carnival instead.
The veteran rockers, whose hits include Down, Down and Caroline, were lined up to play at Cookie’s Field on the evening of Saturday, August 4.
But now they are set to be replaced by a gig on the evening before, Friday, August 3, featuring tribute act The Bon Jovi Experience, Swiss rockers 77 Bombay Street and a clutch of as-yet-unnamed local bands.
Cris Glover, a member of Sheringham Carnival committee and a joint partner in Sheringham-based Morimaru Promotions, was the music promoter behind the bid to lure Quo to Sheringham.
He said: “The latest is that it has been postponed until next year, due to a couple of productions problems relating to the Olympics.”
Mr Glover would not go into any detail about the issues, but added: “We are now gearing up to put that concert on next year, giving us more time to iron out the creases. It’s a shame we couldn’t do it this year.”
He added: “We are still going ahead with an event, which we have moved to Friday, August 3. We’ve got The best Bon Jovi tribute act in the world, The Bon Jovi Experience, and an excellent band from Switzerland, 77 Bombay Street.”
When the News revealed the possible Quo gig in November last year, Mr Glover said the band’s agent had stipulated that a contract could not be signed until 50pc of the costs had been underwritten.