November 28 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Norwich City have rejected a transfer enquiry from a Premier League club for Alex Tettey, the Canaries’ midfielder has told Norwegian media.
The Canaries’ opted to take up an option on the 28-year-old earlier this summer, keeping him at Carrow Road for another season, and the Norwegian international is quoted in daily newspaper VG back in his homeland on Tuesday stating City had rebuffed interest from an unamed Premier League club.
“The club have rejected a referral from a Premier League club, except I can not say which team,” says Tettey. “The Championship gets tough and hard with 46 games but it can be exciting if we start well.”
Tettey’s representative Bjorn Tore Kvarme confirmed the combative midfielder was in demand.
“The only thing I can say is that a team in the Premier League wanted a trade, but that Norwich said no. They will keep Tettey so he can help the team again,” he said. “He has a contract until June of 2015. Then it is not so much to get done.”
Tettey is currently out with a groin injury after featuring in the opening pre-season friendly against Dereham Town, which forced him to miss the two games on City’s Italian tour and Monday’s 5-1 home friendly win over OGC Nice.
Norwich boss Neil Adams revealed after his side’s latest win the midfielder is poised to return to training later this week and is expected to be in contention for the Championship opener at Wolves on August 10, with the player himself suggesting he will be fit to return to full time training on Monday.
Meanwhile, Ricky van Wolfswinkel’s agent, Louis Laros, is quoted in Voetbal International on Tuesday stating two clubs ‘outside England and Holland’ have expressed an interest in signing City’s club record signing. The 25-year-old enjoyed a prolific spell at Sporting Lisbon in Portugal prior to his Carrow Road move 12 months ago and has already been touted with a summer return to cross city rivals Benfica earlier this summer.
Laros claims van Wolfswinkel would struggle to accept a bit-part role in the Championship and claims City could be prepared to offload one of their biggest wage earners. Laros will also not rule out a potential loan move.
“It’s going to clubs outside England and Netherlands,” Laros told the Dutch football magazine. “But the difference between supply and demand is such that I do not expect that there is a very quick decision. Norwich City is willing to co-operate, but expect something in return...the Championship is not the stage on which he plays football.”
The Dutch international missed City’s Italian training camp after damaging knee ligaments in a training ground collison with Declan Rudd, but the striker is expected to be back in contention for the Championship kick-off.