Norwich Weather



max temp: 7°C

min temp: 7°C

NEW Spring 2017 issue of the Pink Un Magazine is out now! click here

London One North: North Walsham 17 Colchester 3

PUBLISHED: 12:42 27 January 2014 | UPDATED: 12:54 27 January 2014

Mike Rouse attempts to break a Colchester tackle at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones

Mike Rouse attempts to break a Colchester tackle at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones


Another disciplined team performance by Nick Greenhall’s Vikings saw off promotion hopefuls Colchester at fortress Scottow.

Action from North Walsham's win against Colchester at Scottow. Picture: Hywel JonesAction from North Walsham's win against Colchester at Scottow. Picture: Hywel Jones

As a result Walsham stay comfortably at eighth in London One North, whilst their visitors slipped to fourth, just nine points above them.

As in last week’s victory against high-flying Etor Manor, the Vikings attacked in all areas of the field, particularly on the opposition’s throw in at the line-out.

The pack had a stranglehold in the scrum, and were sharper in the loose, with open-side Wayne Williams carrying well and Chalk Hill Brewery man of the match Mike Rouse repeatedly powering over the gain line.

The vastly experienced Chris Borrett, in for the injured David Treglown, kept his line moving with little kicks over the top when the cover was tight, allowing Will Hodgson to repeatedly penetrate with straight runs at his opposite number.

Henry Dewing got the scoreboard moving three minutes in with a penalty from the 10-metre line. Tom Coller then took clean ball for a drive, which went over the line, but the try was not given.

A further sortie, this time on the right, had the crowd shouting for the touchdown, but the ball was held up. Eventually Mark McCall did get over in the right hand corner, his goal converted sweetly by Dewing.

Before half-time Colchester captain and full-back James Crozier had a chance with a penalty in front of the posts, but the kick went wide, leaving Walsham 10-0 ahead at the interval.

Playing into the gusting wind, with the pitch cutting up and the greasy ball more difficult to handle, third quarter momentum was lost, despite fresh legs in the form of Tom Browes and Tom Knight from the bench.

Crozier was successful with a penalty for the visitors, before Dewing saw a straightforward chance at the other end drift wide.

Four minutes from time, following a Walsham heel, Borrett broke through the centre, to put Rhys Davies-Horne away for a spectacular try, converted by Dewing.

On Saturday the Vikings are again at home, versus Beccles, in the semi-final of the Woodforde’s Norfolk Cup.

nWhile the Vikings were winning at Scottow the Raiders were engaged in a competitive Woodfordes Merit Table game at Norwich. Having established a 15-0 half-time lead with all their points coming from centre Ted Morgan, with two tries, a conversion and a penalty, the Raiders had to resist a strong fightback by Norwich who scored two converted tries to bring the gap down to a single point. With four minutes to go Chad Seeley scored following a long run from wing Greg Wills.


Sport Most Read

Sport Most Commented

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Evening News
digital edition


Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter