April 25 2015 Latest news:
Paddy Davitt, Norwich City Writer
Thursday, August 7, 2014
Neil Adams believes Ricky van Wolfswinkel can reap the benefits from a fresh start after a ‘horrible’ spell at Norwich City.
The Dutch international moved to French club St Etienne on a season-long loan earlier this week, with the Greens holding an option to buy the striker, in a deal that could eventually net City more than £7.25m if van Wolfswinkel gets back on the goal trail.
Adams recruited front pair Kyle Lafferty and Lewis Grabban over the summer and the City chief insists it was time for both parties to move on.
“I had a good chat with him at the end of last season, as I did with all the players, and Ricky by his own admission needed a move,” he said. “He had a horrible season for himself after a great start. Things just didn’t work out. He had the opportunity to go and join St Etienne and he has taken that and he goes with out best wishes. I hope he does really well.
“He has proved before he came here he can score goals. It didn’t happen here but he has another opportunity. With some players, leaving football clubs is part and parcel of the process but he is a really good lad and I mean that.”
Adams is confident he retains plenty of firepower at his disposal following van Wolfswinkel’s move and his decision to sanction a youth loan switch for Carlton Morris to League Two Oxford United.
“I think we’ll still be looking but with the strikers and midfielders we have here we are not a million miles from a really competitive squad,” said Adams. “I’m happy with what we’ve got in most departments in the team, but there is one area we need to strengthen.
“With Carlton we can get him back here anytime after the first month. There are players ahead of him so we felt we could let him go and get some experience.
“That is invaluable when you send young players to League One or League Two clubs. They might play and they might not do so well but what they will be is better for the experience. I know Carlton inside out, he was my striker in the FA Youth Cup side and he is ready now for men’s football and probably has been for the last six months. He’ll gain more from playing competitive men’s football on a weekly basis.”