Neil Adams savours his first Norwich City win against Watford but scotches talk of a £4m move for Celtic’s Kris Commons
18:03 16 August 2014
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Neil Adams’ praised Norwich City’s patience after wearing down 10-men Watford to earn his first Canaries’ victory since taking control in a 3-0 Carrow Road success.
Bradley Johnson, Lewis Grabban and Alex Tettey clinched the victory after the Hornets played 88 minutes with a man less when Joel Ekstrand was red-carded for felling Nathan Redmond.
City were always in control but needed a double salvo either side of the hour mark to end Watford’s resistance after Johnson’s sublime opener before the interval.
“I’m obviously delighted and very pleased with how we applied ourselves today,” said Adams. “Of course the sending off so early is a massive turning point; just like we were saying last weekend when it went against us at Wolves. We know how it can affect you. The opposition went 4-4-1 and just (Troy) Deeney up front who is a massive handful even on his own so they always had that out ball. When you have got that numerical advantage for so long you have to be patient, you have to keep the ball and you have to show quality. I thought we did that. We scored three and could have scored three more. I was delighted with the application.”
Adams backed the officials’ decision to dismiss Ekstrand although the City boss admitted he had not seen a replay of the early incident.
“I have not seen it since,” he said. “I have seen Nathan on the floor and straight away you are looking at the officials. The linesman had the best view of it that I could see and he didn’t seem to want to give it but the referee and his officials have obviously seen enough to feel it warrants a red card.
“I spoke to Nathan and he said he didn’t know what had hit him. He was on the ground. He is not pointing the finger at the defender. He has had a bang on his nose and he had to change his bloodied shirt and it was a big advantage for us.”
Adams brought on Leroy Fer for his first appearance of the new season and confirmed afterwards he wants to keep the Dutch midfielder beyond the transfer window despite Fer being linked with the likes of QPR and Sevilla during the summer. The City boss remains in the market for new recruits but dismissed reports in Scotland earlier on Saturday suggesting he is ready to make a £4m bid for Celtic’s Kris Commons.
“I’ve just been told that. Its news to me,” he said. “I don’t know where they come from some of these. Of course we are looking at players. But no, there is nothing in that.”