Search

Norwich Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 10°C

August Issue of the Pink Un magazine is available now: ORDER YOURS TODAY

Make your mind up time for Andrew Surman as Norwich City track Belgian international

PUBLISHED: 10:17 24 August 2014 | UPDATED: 10:52 24 August 2014

Norwich City midfielder Andrew Surman has a decision to make on his longer term future. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Norwich City midfielder Andrew Surman has a decision to make on his longer term future. Picture: Matthew Usher.

© Archant Norfolk 2014

Norwich City chief Neil Adams insists the ball is now in Andrew Surman’s court over his long term future at the club.

Surman was not part of City’s matchday squad for the 1-0 Championship derby win at Ipswich on Saturday but Adams wants the classy midfielder to follow the likes of Wes Hoolahan, Ryan Bennett and Michael Turner, who have all signed up for extended tours of duty at Carrow Road in recent weeks.

Surman is entering the final year of his current City deal and has been touted with a return to Bournemouth after an impressive season-long loan stint on the south coast.

The 28-year-old admitted during the build-up to the new campaign he needs regular football at this stage of his career, but Adams has made it clear he is only interested in attracting new recruits, with City now heavily linked to Belgian international midfielder Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe.

“He is a player I want to keep,” he said. “The same with Michael and I was delighted he wanted to do that and we could get that done and we are talking to Andrew now. There is 10 or 11 days left for him to make a decision. I’ve said all along that I will be glad when the window closes. Of course we will look to add and keep the ones we want. We don’t have to sell but if the right money comes along you have to look at it, but I have stressed all along we are hoping to add.”

Adams played down speculation of a done deal for Club Brugge’s Odjidja-Ofoe after watching his side’s Portman Road success. Reports across the Channel on Saturday claimed the 25-year-old powerhouse had travelled to England to discuss personal terms after City agreed a fee with his Belgian club although Odjidja-Ofoe is still included in Brugge’s squad for Sunday afternoon’s league trip to Mechelen.

Adams confirmed City remain in the market for a replacement for Leroy Fer who sealed a club-record switch to QPR last week. The summer transfer window closes on September 1.

“We’ve been linked with loads. I got names thrown at me every week,” he said. “Yeah, Leroy has gone and we are looking at players to replace him and there are many out there but the difference between enquiries, speculation and firm bids are miles apart. There is nothing imminent.”

Odjidja-Ofoe was a second-half substitute in Club Brugge’s 2-1 Uefa Europa League play-off, first leg win over Grasshoppers (Zurich) on Thursday night. The former Anderlecht and Hamburg midfielder has played 165 games for Brugge since 2009 and represented Belgium at every age group level from Under-15. He has five senior caps and was part of Belgium’s Uefa 2012 European Championship qualifying campaign, but did not go to the recent World Cup in Brazil.

Related articles

Sport Most Read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter