July 28 2015 Latest news:
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Norwich City’s England international John Ruddy is ready to stay at Carrow Road and lead the Canaries’ bid to bounce back following Premier League relegation.
Ruddy has already been linked with a £5m move to Crystal Palace since the end of the league season, but despite missing out on a World Cup squad place earlier this week the 27-year-old sees his future with the Canaries.
“I’m not a quitter, definitely not,” he said. “I signed a new contract with Norwich in October. I’ve got three seasons left on that contract. The situation is the same as it was last summer. There was a bit of interest from Chelsea, but Norwich didn’t receive a bid they deemed acceptable. If that’s the same case this summer then I’ve no problem with that. I’m very happy at Norwich. My family are very settled. Unless the club turn around to me and say we’ve accepted an offer for you, then I’ll be a Norwich player come next season. Norwich fans are fantastic. They’ve been very good with me. I had a tough time when I first joined here and they could easily have turned against me but they stuck by me, and I would like to think I have repaid their faith.”
Ruddy, speaking to the Daily Telegraph, revealed how much his England snub had hurt him after Roy Hodgson opted to name Joe Hart, Ben Foster and Fraser Forster in his 23-man squad and leave Ruddy on stand-by.
“I don’t think enough people really understand how much it does mean to players to miss out on a World Cup squad – or any international squad. I was very hurt by the fact that I’d been overlooked,” he said. “Some people might call me bitter but it’s not bitterness. It’s just sheer disappointment at not being able to be a part of it. You have similar disappointments in any walk of life but being in the England national side, in a game watched worldwide, it gets magnified.
“I am patriotic. This is England. This is a World Cup. This is an opportunity to wear those Three Lions on your chest. That’s something that any young boy or young girl – or any grown-up – would give anything for.
“I’ve been in squads for the last two years, and never really got a fair crack of the whip in terms of game time. I’ve never kicked up a fuss. I have given my all when there with England. It’s something I’m very proud of. The one thing people can’t take away from me is the cap I’ve got hanging in my house now. If that’s the only cap I earn then it’ll be the proudest moment of my career by a million miles. To represent your country is the pinnacle.
“I found out a couple of days before Roy phoned me that I would be on standby. To have 48 hours to digest it before speaking to him really gave me a chance to think over what I was going to say to him.
“It gave me a chance to get it off my chest, which is healthy, I needed to do that for my own personal satisfaction, to let Roy know that I do care. I made it perfectly clear to Roy I felt he made a bad call.”