December 8 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
John Ruddy has admitted summer interest from Chelsea and Jose Mourinho was a flattering experience – but the England goalkeeper remains happy at Carrow Road.
The 25-year-old Norwich City number one was subject of two July bids from Stamford Bridge, with the Blues said to have laid £6m on the table to secure a ‘homegrown’ back-up for Petr Cech.
In the end City rejected the moves out of hand with Ruddy still contracted until the summer of 2016 plus the option of a further year – while Chelsea signed Mark Schwarzer on a one-year deal. And speaking for the first time about the summer talk, Ruddy conceded it was nice to be linked with the 2012 European Champions.
“The club didn’t get an offer they deemed acceptable,” said Ruddy. “I was flattered by the interest and I thank Chelsea and Mourinho for that – and the level of interest they showed as well.
“But it wasn’t to be. It was all sorted fairly early doors before we started pre-season, so I was ready to get my head down and work hard for Norwich, and try to maintain my performances that I had last year.
He added: “It was very nice, very flattering – but it was something the club didn’t want to look at and they were well within their rights. I’ve signed a long-term deal here and I wouldn’t have signed that if I wasn’t happy to see it out.
“I’m more than happy to be at Norwich. It was one of those where if it didn’t happen, then so be it. I’m not going to kick up a fuss and force my way out.”
Regular action should at least help Ruddy’s cause as he looks to book at ticket to this summer’s World Cup in Brazil.
“Trying to maintain that position in the England squad is a key for me outside Norwich, but first and foremost I need to start putting in performances here,” said Ruddy.
“They’ve been OK this season but I’d like to get a bit more from myself and really start picking them up like I did before I got injured last year. But the coaching I’m getting from Dave (Watson), working with Mark (Bunn) and Carlo (Nash), it’s brilliant. I’m really enjoying it and looking forward to the rest of the season.”
On England’s qualification hopes, Ruddy added: “Everyone is very positive and upbeat, determined that we’ve got it in our own hands, which is the best possible way to have it.
“So we will go into the next two games at Wembley with the advantage and I don’t foresee any problems in coming through that and getting qualification.”