August 30 2015 Latest news:
Saturday, June 7, 2014
Lowestoft boxer Anthony Ogogo insists it’s business as usual despite Richard Schaefer’s decision to step down as chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions.
Schaefer was key in convincing Ogogo to spurn the advances of promoters with better UK contacts, convincing the 25-year-old he could make the middleweight a worldwide boxing star.
However, a fallout between Golden Boy owner Oscar de la Hoya and Schaefer has resulted in the latter stepping down from his position.
Ogogo admitted to being disappointed but insists Golden Boy have other personnel who are more than capable of overseeing his career.
“It’s a shame because first and foremost he is a really nice bloke,” said Ogogo, who turned professinal with Golden Boy at the start of 2013 after winning a bronze medal at the London Olympics. “He was responsible for the biggest promotional boxing company in the world but if I ever had a problem I could always give him a shout.
“He was the guy that effectively signed me. Oscar is the face and the name of the company but Richard is the guy who made it all tick but Golden Boy is a massive organisation and they have already got two people that are going to make a step up to fill his shoes. It really won’t effect the running of my career.
“Golden Boy is going to run just as smoothly without him – I’ve got no worries about that. Richard is still a shareholder as well so he’s not going to wish harm on the company.
“From what I gather I think he is just having a bit of a break. He has done so many shows over the last 10 years and he just feels a bit unappreciated.
“I wouldn’t be surprised in a year or so if he comes back. But I’ve still got the backing of the biggest promotional company in the world and it’s in their best interests to help me become a world champion. I’ve got no doubt that if I continue to work really hard it will definitely happen.”
Ogogo is back in training at the Kickstop Gym in Norwich under trainer Graham Everett having secured his sixth straight victory in Las Vegas last month against Jonel Tapia.
He hopes to be back in the ring at the end of July on the undercard of a potential world title fight between Kell Brook and Shawn Porter. After neither Golden Boy nor Matchroom could come to an agreement over who would promote the fight it has now gone to purse bids with the highest bidder winning the right to stage the fight.
However, if Ogogo fails to land a spot on this undercard he has made contact with German promoters Sauerland, who are prepared to include him on one of their fight nights.
“Sauerland have said they would happily put me on one of their cards to give me a run-out so I will definitely be fighting towards the end of July or early August,” he added.