X-rays show pellet embedded in cat’s leg after tabby was shot with air gun in Belton
PUBLISHED: 10:00 21 March 2014
A tabby cat suffered a traumatic injury when he was shot in the leg with an air gun pellet.
Sarah and Mark Daniels, of Belton, let two-year-old Milo out the house as usual before going to work last Monday morning. But when they let him back in later that day, Milo was limping and there was a bleeding wound on his front leg.
They initially thought he had been hit by a car, but x-rays showed he had been shot and the air pellet was still lodged inside his body.
The pellet had pierced his skin, hit part of the bone and embedded into the muscle. Staff at Haven Veterinary Surgeons in Great Yarmouth were able to operate; they removed the pellet and inserted metal pins around Milo’s elbow.
It will be weeks before they know if the surgery has worked. If it hasn’t part of the leg may have to be amputated, but for now the usually investigative moggy appears to be on the mend.
Sarah and Mark, who live in the Bramble Gardens area of Belton, are shocked someone would attack Milo - and wonder how many missing cats may have fallen victim to a similar fate and not survived.
“We think it must have happened quite close to the house, but you never really know how far cats wander. The vets think it hadn’t long happened.
“I know not everyone loves cats but there are better ways of scaring them - there is no need to be so cruel. How many other local cats have just never come home. How someone can sleep at night after doing that is beyond me.”
Milo, who lives with German shepherd Scooby, was described by Sarah as a “typical boy” who likes a fight and brings home ‘presents’ he’s caught while out hunting. He is on ‘cage rest’ for the next six weeks and won’t be allowed outside until early May.
“Without the amazing skills of Haven vets we may have had a different outcome,” added Sarah.
“I can’t praise all the staff at the practice highly enough.”
Following a police appeal for information about Milo’s injuries, Nathan Brewer of Fern Gardens in Belton revealed his cat was shot by an air gun pellet a few years ago and sadly died soon after.
Anyone with information on air weapons being used in Belton should call PC David Punter on 101.