November 1 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, April 3, 2014
Work is set to start on the A47 Postwick junction at the end of this month, after the Department for Transport today released the £19m needed for the project.
The scheme, which is crucial to the Norwich Northern Distributor Road, is known as the Postwick Hub and is set to bring homes and businesses to the area east of the city.
Norfolk County Council said preliminary stages of the scheme, including archeological digs, will start in a few weeks time, with main construction getting underway in May.
But the council did not have a specific timetable for road closures during the 18-month project.
Release of the money is also confirmation there has been no High Court challenge to the scheme, which was approved by the Government in January after a detailed examination of the project at a public inquiry in July last year.
David Harrison, Cabinet Member for Transport, welcomed the news the funding had been released.
“It has taken a long, long time to reach this point, but we can at last look forward to work starting on site,” he said. “Lack of capacity at this junction has been stifling nearby businesses and housing development for years.”
But campaigners against the junction and the Norwich Northern Distributor Road, which it will act as a gateway to, have said the work will signal “the start of the devastation”.
“We are concerned about work starting but the inconvenience people will have to put up with will carry on because the outcome is going to be so bad that people will be inconvenienced forever more,” said Denise Carlo from the Norwich and Norfolk Transport Action Group.
For more on this story, see tomorrow’s EDP.