June 20 2013 Latest news:
Friday, September 28, 2012
The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support starts today. But where can you go for coffee, cake and a good cause in Norwich?
• The coffee morning is 22-years-old this year
• Last year more than £200,000 was raised in Norfolk - and this year the charity hopes to raise £220,000
• Over £10million was raised nationally
• 822 people a day are diagnosed with cancer
• About 5,100 people a year in Norfolk are diagnosed with cancer, and Macmillan provides them with practical, emotional, medical and financial support
Coffee, cake and other tasty treats will be consumed as charity coffee mornings take place across Norwich today.
Events will be held up and down the country as The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning raises money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Here are just some of the events happening in Norwich today:
• A coffee morning in memory of a much-loved friend and colleague will be held at a Thorpe St Andrew School tomorrow between 9am and 1pm. It is held in memory of Sandra Jeffels, who died of cancer last year, and will include a raffle, guess the biscuit competition, second-hand uniform sale and Rock Rock Boutique and much more. Cake donations are welcome. Entrance to the playgroup is via Furze Road.
• Marks and Spencer will be holding a day in aid of the charity in their café at the store on Rampant Horse Street, Norwich.
• Gloria & Colin Irons - 113 Harvey Lane, Norwich, NR7 0AG between 10am – 1pm, with the added tombola, raffle, books and various other things.
• Broadland Guards, Delta House, Vulcan Rd North, Norwich, NR6 6AQ will be holding their event at 10.30am on the Industrial Estate, and is open to all there and those passing through.
• Aldiss Furniture Store, Hall Road Retail Park, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 6DH from 9.30am – 11.30am.
• Rumbling Tum cafe on St Benedicts will also be holding an event all day in aid of the charity.
• The Trinity United Reform Church on Unthank Road will be serving tea and cake from 10.30am until 12.30pm,
• The Sole and Heel pub on Salhouse Road will have drinks, a raffle and cakes from 10am to noon, while Fosters Solicitors on Middleton Street in Wymondham will have a tombola, as well as coffee and cakes.
• The Knitting Lillies Group will be holding a morning at St Mary’s Church Hall in Earlham from 10am until 12.30pm, as well as many more events.
• The NNUH Comprehensive Clinical Research Network, Room 25, Level 3 East, NNU Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich will be holding an event at 9.45am tomorrow. Coffee, tea, cakes will all be served.
• A schoolgirl is hoping lots of people will join her for a cuppa at a charity event she is organising in memory of her two grandmothers.Tamara Edwards, 13, lost both of her grandmothers to cancer, and now Tamara, wants to do everything she can to help the charity Macmillan Cancer Support. The coffee morning is at Sprowston Community High School from about 9.30am until 11.30am. It would be helpful if people planning to come to the event could let Mrs Edwards know in advance by calling 07711 166582.
• Barclays Bank, 5/7 Red Lion Street, Norwich will be serving a election of tea, cakes and coffee.
• The Copper Beech, Alex Moorhouse Way, Costessey, Norwich, NR5 0JT will be holding their morning from 10am.