July 1 2015 Latest news:
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
A poll of football fans’ wittiest chants has seen West Ham United crowned champions – and now we want to know your favourites.
We want to know your favourite chant from the terraces.
It can be a spontaneous one-off that stuck in your mind or a true classic that has been handed down over the years - we want to know.
Post your chants in the comments below or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The best will be used in tomorrow’s papers.
Hammers fans took the honours in a search for the best football chant of the past decade, with a verse about Rio Ferdinand’s spell on the bench for missing a drugs test.
Second in the poll was a singalong by Fulham fans for striker Bobby Zamora, which borrows the tune of Dean Martin’s Amore.
The winning chant by Hammers fans was aimed at their own former player who had gone on to play for Manchester United but had received a ban, forcing him to sit on the sidelines. They sang, to the tune of Duran Duran’s hit Rio: “His name is Rio and he watches from the stand.”
The poll was conducted among 1,500 football fans to promote fantasy football game Oulala.
Valery Bollier, Oulala co-founder, said: “We know that British football fans are among the most passionate in the world and they are rightly famous all over the world for their witty terrace chants.
“Our top 10 shows how humour and sport are completely interlinked – a good laugh can pick up your spirits when losing or add to your opponents’ misery when you are winning.”
1. “His name is Rio and he watches from the stand” – West Ham fans to Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand, sung to the tune of Duran Duran’s Rio.
2. “When you’re sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that’s Zamora, that’s Zamora” – Fulham supporters – and before them, Brighton fans – hail their striker Bobby Zamora, sung to the tune of Dean Martin’s That’s Amore.
3. “You should have stayed on the telly” – Newcastle United fans to Alan Shearer, when the Match of the Day pundit led the team to relegation as manager.
4. “He’s fast, he’s red, he talks like Father Ted, Robbie Keane” – Liverpool fans on the club’s striker.
5. “Your teeth are offside, your teeth are offside, Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside” – Manchester United fans singing about Liverpool’s Luis Suarez.
6. “Deep fry yer pizzas, we’re gonna deep fry yer pizzas” – Scotland fans to Italy’s supporters in a World Cup qualifier in March 2007.
7. “Chelsea, wherever you may be, keep your wife from John Terry” – Chelsea fans saluted their captain Terry after his affair with former team-mate Wayne Bridge’s ex-girlfriend, sung to the tune of Lord Of The Dance.
8. “John Carew, Carew. He likes a lap-dance or two. He might even pay for you. John Carew, Carew” – Aston Villa fans sang this about their player, to the Que Sera Sera song.
9. “Fat Eddie Murphy, you’re just a fat Eddie Murphy” – Newcastle United fans used this heckle on then-Chelsea player Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
10. “You only live round the corner” – Fulham to Manchester United supporters, a chant now sung by many other London teams when they play at home to United.
We want to know your favourites – post them below or email them to email@example.com